Kirk Wessler column from March 30, 2010- ethical hypocrisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirk Wessler column from March 30, 2010- ethical hypocrisy

Apparently the philosphies and journalistic ethics of Kirk Wessler and the Peoria Journal Star have changed.
    Here is the column he wrote back on March 30, 2010. He was responding to false rumors about Jim Les, and his purpose was to check them out, then quash those rumors and point out how unethical it is to deal in unproven rumors.

The rumor mill
    The phone calls started last Thursday night, in the middle of watching the Kansas State-Xavier game. They kept on coming, non-stop, all through Friday. ...
    Did you hear? Jim Les was fired as Bradley basketball coach. ... Or he was going to be fired at any moment. ... Or he had been bought out of his contract. ... Or he was about to be bought out of his contract. ... And why doesn’t the Journal Star know about this? ...
    Um, because it wasn’t true? ...
    Thirty-five years in this business, I’ve heard a few rumors. But I can’t recall ever so much ado about nothing. Usually, rumors this wrong come from crackpots. What elevated this one and created a busy night and day of reporting — only to come up empty — was that the voices coming over the phones belonged to rational, sensible people. And they were so insistent. Some are pro-Les, some anti-Les, and some don’t have a dog in this particular hunt but had heard all about it. ...
    From whom? Who knows? But every call came with the same REO Speedwagon refrain. ... “Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another ...” I think somebody was messin’ around and laughed his, or her, lungs out all weekend. ...
    Usually, we don’t acknowledge rumors when they’re found to lack substance. When they’ve gone viral, though, it’s not a bad thing to attach a warning label: Don’t believe everything you hear. ...

You guys just don't get it do you? smh

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
      Usually, we don’t acknowledge rumors when they’re found to lack substance.
      perhaps this time it had substance...

Comment

Originally posted by Braves4Life View Post
        What are we not getting? Please feel free to explain B4L.

Comment

Originally posted by amettrick View Post
          perhaps this time it had substance...
          Then he should have cited a few sources and said that. That's all I ask from a journalist, whether he/she is a columnist or a beat writer.

Comment

Didn't KW repeat his unsubstantiated rumor again today? Why is it OK for a newspaper columnist/editor to repeat a harmful unsubstantiated rumor but we should just shut up?

I think it is important to show that even KW didn't believe this kind of rumor-mongering was right, but apparently now he does when it serves his agenda.

And anything I write here is just my opinion, for those who keep using that lame excuse to defend KW.

Comment

KW has an agenda.

He's a flamer.

He likes to write stuff that makes people mad.

He enjoys their pain.

He's a schadenfreude.

Comment

Originally posted by MacabreMob View Post
                KW has an agenda.

He's a flamer.

He likes to write stuff that makes people mad.

He enjoys their pain.

He's a schadenfreude.
                Ignore him then.

Comment

You guys seem pretty upset about this?

Why?

At least Bradley is getting press. I think its good.

Comment

Just seeking truths. Somebody has to do it.

Comment

Look, I don't begrudge any one on here their opinion. In fact, I value them. However, what KW did was strictly an editorial (and one was a blog where all bets are off anyway). He never said he had information to substantiate that Les would be fired. He basically just said he had a hunch; it was his opinion that Les might not be around next year. He was editorializing.

These editorials are meant to accomplish one of two things -- either you agree and say "right on man, I love what you're saying", or you disagree and say "you're full of crap KW, show us the beef". That's why people write letters to the editor or post on forums like this.

I'll say it again -- this was not an investigative report where facts are gathered and the reader is allowed to draw their own conclusion. This was an editorial where the writer simply states his opinion.... no matter how full of crap that opinion might be.

Comment

Fair Enough.
                        Fair Enough.

You have made a positive contribution to the athletic department. No one can take that away.

Comment

Look, I don't begrudge any one on here their opinion. In fact, I value them. However, what KW did was strictly an editorial (and one was a blog where all bets are off anyway). He never said he had information to substantiate that Les would be fired. He basically just said he had a hunch; it was his opinion that Les might not be around next year. He was editorializing.

These editorials are meant to accomplish one of two things -- either you agree and say "right on man, I love what you're saying", or you disagree and say "you're full of crap KW, show us the beef". That's why people write letters to the editor or post on forums like this.

I'll say it again -- this was not an investigative report where facts are gathered and the reader is allowed to draw their own conclusion. This was an editorial where the writer simply states his opinion.... no matter how full of crap that opinion might be.
                          I'd still like to understand how Kirk's philosophy about unsubstantiated rumors has changed so drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by ER3 View Post
                            Ignore him then.
                            Bahhhh.. hahahaaaaaa

I do ignore him. I don't read his crap.

Comment

Nobody has to seek out 'truths' when we are talking about someone's 'opinion'. I'll save you the time and effort, you're not gonna find a 'truth' here when someone's opinion is the issue. So, carry on.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X