Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley players entering the portal after the 22-23 season

Jace Carter is leaving UIC:

My first BU hoops game was on 12/30/1963. My dad took me to watch the Braves defeat Arizona 67-59. He helped me get Coach Orsborn's autograph before the game.

Wow. That's too bad for UIC fans, and for Coach Yaklich. It's really hard for a midmajor coach to build a program now with the portal and NIL that lures your best players away every year.
    It happened to Bradley last year and to a few other MVC teams, and now every year is a rebuilding year for a lot of coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
      Wow. That's too bad for UIC fans, and for Coach Yaklich. It's really hard for a midmajor coach to build a program now with the portal and NIL that lures your best players away every year.
      It happened to Bradley last year and to a few other MVC teams, and now every year is a rebuilding year for a lot of coaches.
      Agreed. Wardle has even said that 'program building' may be a thing of the past. Each season for mid-major teams is focused on re-recruiting your own team to keep as many as possible in house.

Comment

It really is a weird dynamic, especially for teams in conferences like the A10, MVC, WCC, MWC, etc. Many of these teams have players on their rosters that are capable of being strong contributors on Power 5 teams. So, if the Power 5 teams are going to poach the mid majors every year, do the mid-majors just try to poach low-major teams and JUCOs? Seems like the MVC has been losing at least a handful of top players in the conference to the transfer portal now. Should a mid-major even recruit out of high school or just try to poach low major transfers? I have no idea how this entire thing will shape up.
        Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

If a player is paid to sign an NIL agreement to play for a team, is that a yearly contract or 4 years? What happens to the money if the player gets hurt and cannot play, flunks out, commits a felony, or decides to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by molar50 View Post
            If a player is paid to sign an NIL agreement to play for a team, is that a yearly contract or 4 years? What happens to the money if the player gets hurt and cannot play, flunks out, commits a felony, or decides to transfer.
            I'm pretty sure all the NIL deals are for one year, or if they are multi year the payments are split up and conditional on the player still being enrolled at the University.
            Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

I think you are right. The cases I have read about, including mega deal NILs that can be for millions of dollars, have carefully worded legal contracts with stipulations that require public appearances, social media and commercial promotions, participating in other NIL fundraising activities, etc.

Comment

A second one of UIC's good young players is transferring. Freshman guard Jalen Jackson-

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                Working...
                X