Transfer portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stryker View Post

Yeah I'd imagine as a rule a team full of transfers probably won't have the same success as a team that has been together for years. However Kansas St. was full of transfers, I think all starting 5, and they made the E8. That is probably the exception though.
    That is why it is important in bringing in the right fits. K.State obviously were well coached and the players seem to mesh well together as a team. Hoping we can find the right players in the portal that can come in and help us immediately in winning games.

Comment

• Loyola also was quite successful with transfer players, Doyle, Custer, Uguak, Townes, Norris, Hall, Schweiger, Knight, Sheldon Edwards

Comment

Yeah I'd imagine as a rule a team full of transfers probably won't have the same success as a team that has been together for years. However Kansas St. was full of transfers, I think all starting 5, and they made the E8. That is probably the exception though.
        I dont know sure about the other starters on K-State but Nowell had been there for a couple years after transferring from Little Rock..I think they meant first year transfers.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomahawk chop View Post

That is why it is important in bringing in the right fits. K.State obviously were well coached and the players seem to mesh well together as a team. Hoping we can find the right players in the portal that can come in and help us immediately in winning games.
          I think if we can keep our core players here and fill in gaps where we need them with transfer players we will be ok

Comment

• Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

How about a shooter?
            Word is the Davis kid has a chance to fill that role. He came in with that rep, and with his length he could be a big shooter that no one else has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mobyminnow View Post

Word is the Davis kid has a chance to fill that role. He came in with that rep, and with his length he could be a big shooter that no one else has.
              Can never have enough shooters. Give me another guard who is a known sharp shooter too. Davis becoming that too is just gravy then and not something the team is relying on for success. I was cheering on more playing time for Davis all this year and believe in his potential, but do we really want to go in to a huge year next year relying on him to be our big knock down shooter? Have as many potential guys as possible and then chances are at least one becomes that sharp shooter. Hick, Zek, Deen, Leons, and maybe Davis are all solid shooters, but none are a Crouch/Kennell type yet and you need those kind of guys to reach the next level as a mid major more often than not in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUfan14 View Post

Can never have enough shooters. Give me another guard who is a known sharp shooter too. Davis becoming that too is just gravy then and not something the team is relying on for success. I was cheering on more playing time for Davis all this year and believe in his potential, but do we really want to go in to a huge year next year relying on him to be our big knock down shooter? Have as many potential guys as possible and then chances are at least one becomes that sharp shooter. Hick, Zek, Deen, Leons, and maybe Davis are all solid shooters, but none are a Crouch/Kennell type yet and you need those kind of guys to reach the next level as a mid major more often than not in my opinion.
                We really have no idea who might step up next year as a leader.
                I say that thinking back to the 06-07 season. I remember during the off season after our Sweet 16 run that many on this board thought JC should transfer as he just wasn't that good of a shooter due to his sophomore season. Instead he worked his tale off during the off season and was an amazing 3 pt shooter his junior and senior seasons.
                I say that help us realize that we have a lot of potential on this team so let's see what happens and what 3 (or more) players we bring in to go with what we know.
                I think the Zek, Hickman, and Davis all have potential to be knock down shooters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mobyminnow View Post

I totally agree with you. I like Davis. If he can gain some strength he could be a nice addition in the years to come

Comment

• Originally posted by basketball nut View Post

I say that thinking back to the 06-07 season. I remember during the off season after our Sweet 16 run that many on this board thought JC should transfer as he just wasn't that good of a shooter due to his sophomore season. Instead he worked his tale off during the off season and was an amazing 3 pt shooter his junior and senior seasons.
                    I say that help us realize that we have a lot of potential on this team so let's see what happens and what 3 (or more) players we bring in to go with what we know.
                    I think the Zek, Hickman, and Davis all have potential to be knock down shooters.
                    JC was one of the greatest development stories in BU history imo. Of course I am the same age as him and was at BU at the time so I am biased. If Hickman or Zek could see progression like that it would be amazing. The one thing I do like about our roster is Zek and Hannah etc have the athleticism, if they can improved their skill level it will really pay off.
                    Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

Sure, I agree. But for every Crouch, there are shooters that never become what we thought they would. At worst, you end up with an extra shooter. I still think, despite the potential, we need to get at least one more fairly sure shoot knock down shooter. I mean we all saw the the last few games right? This was a pretty decent shooting team, but did go very cold at times. Add one more, and then keep developing those other guys and we could be lethal from three, which usually is what is needed for a big mid-major year. Those guys like Born and DeVries (just as a shooter, not an overall player, I'm not expecting us to get a DeVries) give you that go to shooter the other team always has to be afraid of at the end of games. We didn't always have that go to guy this year. Point guard is still my first priority, but shooter is number two for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUfan14 View Post

Sure, I agree. But for every Crouch, there are shooters that never become what we thought they would. At worst, you end up with an extra shooter. I still think, despite the potential, we need to get at least one more fairly sure shoot knock down shooter. I mean we all saw the the last few games right? This was a pretty decent shooting team, but did go very cold at times. Add one more, and then keep developing those other guys and we could be lethal from three, which usually is what is needed for a big mid-major year. Those guys like Born and DeVries (just as a shooter, not an overall player, I'm not expecting us to get a DeVries) give you that go to shooter the other team always has to be afraid of at the end of games. We didn't always have that go to guy this year. Point guard is still my first priority, but shooter is number two for me.
                        Agreed, this team needs a player that create his own shot...which I think was the biggest weakness this team had this year. BU needs another player like Brown, Childs, Lemon, Warren, Crouch, etc. The guy that get a basket and get the offense going when it is needed. Without it, the dry spells will never stop. Now, does this player have to be a new player on the roster? Idk. But if it isn't someone on the roster will need to take a big step forward.
                        Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

BU needs another player like Brown, Childs, Lemon, Warren, Crouch, etc.
                          If we get that with BW as our coach, you can bet we'll be winning another conference championship. Definitely much harder to land a player like that and keep him now, but I'm sure that is all becoming an important part of the recruiting process. I have no doubt this staff will find a way to manage the current system and find a way that works best for us.
                          Larry Bird
                          I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

• I think Zek could be that guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fetz86 View Post
                              I think Zek could be that guy.
                              I agree. He's shown flashes of being a special player and I think BW and Co can develop him into that. That being said I would absolutely take a lights out shooter. I trust the staff knows exactly what we need and will get the job done in bringing the right pieces in.

Comment

I think Zek has the purest, smoothest stroke on the team. He could be our guy.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X