Difference in PJ Star coverage of local teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in PJ Star coverage of local teams

I don't really want to start the controversy again about whether some people at the Peoria Jounal Star are anti-Bradley, but I present this comparison for consideration.

Last night ISU was absolutely annihilated by UNLV in Redbird Arena 82-51.
    Yes, UNLV is a good team, but Bradley has played a number of equally good teams at Carver Arena over the past few years, and I do not recall Bradley ever being embarrassed at home like this by over 30 points to anyone.

Yet here are the titles of the articles in today's PJS-

In today's print version the title of the article is:
    "Rebels keep on runnin' "

In the online article-
    "No. 24 UNLV Rebels trounce ISU, 82-51"

These titles and the article itself are all about how good UNLV was and how their defense caused all the problems for poor ISU. Nothing about ISU stinking up the Redbird Arena. In fact, the article is quite kind to ISU.
    Now, anyone can have a bad game, and lose big to a good team, but does anyone here believe for 1 second that if this was Bradley getting blown out at home by 30+ points there wouldn't be several articles and columns in the PJ Star attacking the Braves, blaming it all on the coaching, asking why the players and coaches shouldn't be embarrassed, or calling for a regime change?

Recall these articles about a recent close Bradley loss-
    Braves bringing humble pie on road

Wessler: Nothing good about Bradley's loss (this one was especially viscious in ripping Bradley)

This column came after the EIU game, which Bradley lost, but recall that they were without perhaps their best player Taylor Brown, and with Sam Maniscalco playing injured.
    Just some of the comments, and none of these have been altered-
    >"I would prefer not to punish further the people who paid to sit through this debacle."
    >"What we saw Wednesday was how bad these Braves can be."
    >"Les also was disgusted. He should be."
    >"This was the most embarrassing non-conference home loss Bradley has suffered since Les became coach in 2002."
    >"Bradley lost this game at home."
    >"These guys should be ashamed of themselves."
    >"they were on the short end of the effort. No excuse for that. None."
    >"The effort the Braves failed to put forth Wednesday should send them all to their knees to pray for forgiveness"
    >"Little defense was played..."
    >"Bradley should not have needed Brown to defend its home court from desecration by Eastern Illinois"
    >"And the Braves never should disrespect their loyal fans, their university and themselves with such lack of focus and effort."
    >"Les took blame for not having his players prepared. Fifth-year senior Andrew Warren said he and his teammates were to blame. They were both right."
    >"Now they need to fix the problem, before this season becomes as bad as the home team was Wednesday night."

So why the stark disparity in how the same paper covers the 2 "local teams"?

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
    I don't really want to start the controversy again about whether some people at the Peoria Jounal Star are anti-Bradley, but...
    Too late!
    BUilding for the Future

Comment

I don't really want to start the controversy again about whether some people at the Peoria Jounal Star are anti-Bradley, but I present this comparison for consideration.

So why the stark disparity in how the same paper covers the 2 "local teams"?
      Maybe because we lost to EIU and not a 24th ranked UNLV team?

Comment

[QUOTE=Da Coach;202025]I don't really want to start the controversy again about whether some people at the Peoria Jounal Star are anti-Bradley, but I present this comparison for consideration.

Instigator
        Don't start it and then delete other's for their opinions that differ
        Lets see, lose by 31 at home to a team ranked 21 or lose to a nobody at home What makes the difference if you lose by 31 or 5, you still lose
        In my opinion I think the PJS was very kind to JL and BU after the last home lost Instigator Come On Man

Comment

I echo what a few have already said. BU lost to Eastern Illinois, ISU lost to a ranked team in UNLV! Big difference. ISU was not the favorite to win, BU was and by double digits. Also the paper is called the PEORIA Journal Star, Bradley is located in Peoria. ISU is located in Bloomington/Normal. While ISU is a "local" team, it is not the main team that the paper follows and covers.
          Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddystuck View Post
            I echo what a few have already said. BU lost to Eastern Illinois, ISU lost to a ranked team in UNLV! Big difference. ISU was not the favorite to win, BU was and by double digits. Also the paper is called the PEORIA Journal Star, Bradley is located in Peoria. ISU is located in Bloomington/Normal. While ISU is a "local" team, it is not the main team that the paper follows and covers.
            EXACTLY!!!! this should be obvious and this is a pointless thread...

Comment

Yes, UNLV is a good team, but Bradley has played a number of equally good teams at Carver Arena over the past few years
              IMO, since 2004, after looking it all up, that UNLV team is a better team than anyone Bradley has hosted, sans Michigan St of course. They're a little better than some of the Butler teams we played and somewhat better than the DePaul teams, and on another level from everyone else.

Comment

I knew this would be the excuse put forth by those who staunchly defend the PJS. But this is a really weak excuse. Note that it is the PJS that chose to make the story of this game their huge front page story in their sports section today. There is huge-sized title and photo, and a really nice article that blames everything on the greatness of the UNLV defense.
                It's obvious they do not feel the compulsion to point out the negatives in the ISU program like they do with Bradley. Sorry the PJS apologists can't see that.

Answer this question- you don't think that if Bradley lost a big home game by over 30 points, even if it was to a marginal top 25 team, that someone in the PJS wouldn't have taken the Braves to task for being unprepared, for not showing up, for some players not showing character or leadership, or for the coach not having a game plan or not making any adjustments to keep from getting embarrassed and blown out at home in front of their biggest crowd of the year?

Can anyone recall Bradley losing a home game by 30+ points under Jim Les, or anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianSensation View Post
                  IMO, since 2004, after looking it all up, that UNLV team is a better team than anyone Bradley has hosted, sans Michigan St of course. They're a little better than some of the Butler teams we played and somewhat better than the DePaul teams, and on another level from everyone else.
                  Are you saying they are a certain Sweet 16 team? Because you seem to be forgetting that Bradley has played a number of Sweet 16 teams at home in just the past few years (SIU, WSU, UNI, as well as Butler).

Comment

There's one difference:

Bradley is expected to be good. So when they lose by 30 (which they don't), they should be ripped.

ISU is expected NOT to be good. So when they lose by 30 (hi, UNLV), why bother ripping? They're not good enough.

To me, criticizing a team means there's high expectations for the team. In fact, ISU should be insulted for not being criticized for last night. They get run out of the building and no one acts surprised? That, to me, is a greater insult than actually getting criticized.

edit: I should say, still doesn't excuse them for not actually ripping ISU.

Comment

This is silly...of course you want to start up the "PJS anti-Bradley" nonsense again. That is the one and only reason that you could possibly have in putting together this far-fetched, hyper-paranoid rant of yours.

BU loses at home to one of the worst teams in division I, and you expect the PJS to run some fluff piece about how great EIU is and how valiantly the BU kids battled in the game??? C'mon.

Comment

Are you saying they are a certain Sweet 16 team? Because you seem to be forgetting that Bradley has played a number of Sweet 16 teams at home in just the past few years (SIU, WSU, UNI, Butler).
                        I was talking just non-con, since everyone plays everyone else in Valley play every year.

Obviously nothing is ever certain, but I think UNLV is one of the 16 best teams in the country right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianSensation View Post
                          There's one difference:

Bradley is expected to be good. So when they lose by 30 (which they don't), they should be ripped.

ISU is expected NOT to be good. So when they lose by 30 (hi, UNLV), why bother ripping? They're not good enough.

To me, criticizing a team means there's high expectations for the team. In fact, ISU should be insulted for not being criticized for last night. They get run out of the building and no one acts surprised? That, to me, is a greater insult than actually getting criticized.
                          OK, so someone finally does admit there is a completely different standard for covering these 2 teams.

Comment

This has NOTHING to do with the PJ Star....ISU got crushed by a ranked oponent...we got beat in an EQUALLY embarassing..nah a MORE embarassing fashion by DII Quincy and EIU

Comment

I happen to agree with you about this DC. I just ran across a copy of the PJS at my place of work and the headline at the top of the front page reads:

"ISU CAN'T PULL UPSET"

and then in much smaller print:

"No. 24 UNLV easily handles Illinois State 82-51. PAGE D1"

ISU can't pull upset... Is that an accurate headline for a team that lost by 31 points at home? When I first saw that headline on the front page, I thought that ISU gave UNLV a game at home.... smh If this was a Bradley loss, the headlines would have been much more sarcastic. Also,not trying to bash the Birds here, but while we lost to EIU, ISU has a loss against UALR.
                              Bradley 72 - Illini 68 Final

???It??™s awful hard,??™??™ said Illini freshman guard D.J. Richardson, the former Central High School guard who played prep school ball a few miles from here and fought back tears outside the locker room. ???It??™s a hometown thing. It??™s bragging rights.??™

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X