NIL - Name, Image, Likeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIL - Name, Image, Likeness

Because of threats from Congress to force schools to allow NIL deals for athletes, the NCAA opened the door for Name, Image, & Likeness deals last year. Now some college administrators and conference commissioners are concerned about the direction it's headed. The initial idea was that athletes should have the right to make a little money on the side using their celebrity and recognizability to endorse products and services, or sell autographed memorabilia. But some schools, especially those in the Power Conferences and those with big college football programs are now concerned that it's turning into Pay for Play. Boosters with big wallets, combined with athletes advertising their availability via the transfer portal and the immediate eligibility rule have started to created a bidding war of NIL deals. Many of the NIL deals that are now happening are not for the established athletes to profit a little, but rather being used to lure the athletes to leave their current school and transfer to another school where they can make more money. This used to violate the NCAA's "Extra benefits" rule, but now is perfectly allowable.
    Some states have NIL legislation regulating it, while others don't, giving some schools an advantage over others within the same conference.

Who could have predicted such a thing?
    Some of us here did... this post was from 2 years ago-
    https://www.bradleyfans.com/forum/sp...nts#post493138

Even the athletes have asked Congress to get involved again and pass federal legislation regulating NIL-
    https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/2...r-congress-nil

And now, conference commissioners are begging congress to pass legislation regulating the NIL deals-
    https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...ployment-pitch
    https://www.localmemphis.com/article...9-06590207446c

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
    Because of threats from Congress to force schools to allow NIL deals for athletes, the NCAA opened the door for Name, Image, & Likeness deals last year. Now some college administrators and conference commissioners are concerned about the direction it's headed. The initial idea was that athletes should have the right to make a little money on the side using their celebrity and recognizability to endorse products and services, or sell autographed memorabilia. But some schools, especially those in the Power Conferences and those with big college football programs are now concerned that it's turning into Pay for Play. Boosters with big wallets, combined with athletes advertising their availability via the transfer portal and the immediate eligibility rule have started to created a bidding war of NIL deals. Many of the NIL deals that are now happening are not for the established athletes to profit a little, but rather being used to lure the athletes to leave their current school and transfer to another school where they can make more money. This used to violate the NCAA's "Extra benefits" rule, but now is perfectly allowable.
    Some states have NIL legislation regulating it, while others don't, giving some schools an advantage over others within the same conference.

Who could have predicted such a thing?
    Some of us here did... this post was from 2 years ago-
    https://www.bradleyfans.com/forum/sp...nts#post493138

Even the athletes have asked Congress to get involved again and pass federal legislation regulating NIL-
    https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/2...r-congress-nil

And now, conference commissioners are begging congress to pass legislation regulating the NIL deals-
    https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...ployment-pitch
    https://www.localmemphis.com/article...9-06590207446c
    Huh Imagine that!!!

Comment

Pay for Play I think has always been a thing in major college sports to some extent, it has always just been kept quiet/low key and swept under the rug. Now it is just out in the open.

I think we just have to admit that college sports in America are flawed, and have been flawed for a very long time. It is an imperfect system by taking the place of a minor league.

The NCAA and some schools make millions of dollars off these athletes and what do they get in return? Their scholarship is their "compensation" but is that truly enough when their success can bring in millions of dollars for these organizations? Some of these athletes never even value their education, their only concern is getting to the next level.

I don't have any solution, and honestly I don't think there is a good that is fair to all solution.

Comment

This tweet from Pat Forde, Sports Illustrated columnist, suggests the NCAA wants the media and the world to know they are on top of these NIL/pay-for-play problems, and plan to look into it. But anyone who believes the NCAA is intent or even capable of doing anything meaningful is fooling themselves.

Comment

This tweet from Pat Forde, Sports Illustrated columnist, suggests the NCAA wants the media and the world to know they are on top of these NIL/pay-for-play problems, and plan to look into it. But anyone who believes the NCAA is intent or even capable of doing anything meaningful is fooling themselves.
          For sure DaCoach!

Comment

There is a good article in the Wall Street Journal about the NIL. Stating how it is out of control. They are alluding to the fact that a change is coming for the NIL to regulate it more and that also there is a change coming in the NCAA. I hope it is for the better but we will see

Comment

I’ve often thought about the fact that sports are subsidized by the taxpayers in our country by all different levels, from the pros to college to high school. Our “free market” values coaches that are much more valuable than presidents of universities or teachers. Very few athletes can actually make the pros in any sport to make a living. And there multiple special interests that protect this to profit themselves, as attorneys, owners, coaches, development leagues, etc. In Europe, sports are not part of high school or college. If you want to play a sport, you participate in a club. If you don’t have the money to play the club, the club pays or subsidizes the athlete. It’s not a perfect system, but I think it’s better. However, I don’t think it could work now in our country. Just think about Texas HS football. I do enjoy sports and enjoy watching different professional, college, minor leagues and even some high school ( even though my children are all grown up). But, somehow our society needs to reassess how this plays out. It hasn’t been fair to the players in the past and the taxpayers keep subsidizing the rich
              Last edited by molar50; 05-06-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

NCCA Today:
                Dave Matter
                @Dave_Matter
                NCAA Division I Board of Directors has issued guidance to schools on the intersection between recruiting activities and NIL movement.

4:29pm · 9 May 2022 · Twitter for iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by KillerB View Post
                  NCCA Today:
                  Dave Matter
                  @Dave_Matter
                  NCAA Division I Board of Directors has issued guidance to schools on the intersection between recruiting activities and NIL movement.

4:29pm · 9 May 2022 · Twitter for iPhone
                  Yeah Right!!!

Comment

New collective of Bradley supporters to help facilitate NIL opportunities for Bradley athletes- "Home of the Brave"
                    Home of the Brave is a member-driven organization that provides exclusive benefits to its members, connecting them to Bradley Men’s Basketball student-athletes through Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) opportunities.

Comment

A couple of the spokesmen for the Home of the Brave NIL collective were on the Greg and Dan show on WMBD radio yesterday.
                      It's worth a listen to hear from the organizers more of what the organization is about.
                      Joe Messmore, Ryan Pearson, and Steve Cicarelli join Greg and Dan to discuss the City of Peoria starting the Bradley University NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) Collective for student athletes called Home of the Brave. This collective provides athletes with an opportunity to connect with local businesses, to retain players long-term, and to establish and maintain relationships between the player and the community.

One thing that stood out to me is that they claim to have capped membership at 50 people, and they have filled that quota. And they say, "we targeted certain people based on their relationship to Bradley, their business background, their ages, different diversification as far as professional people, but the big tie was to Bradley basketball."

I know a number of people who are well respected in the Peoria area business community, several are Bradley grads, and who have been dedicated fans and season ticket holders for many decades, have donated well more than 6-figures to Bradley, and have been extremely loyal to Bradley continuously through the good times and bad. Yet none of those individuals I know have been contacted by this Home of the Brave NIL collective.
                      Maybe I'm wrong, and I wish them the best of luck, But I find it quite unusual that this group chooses to ignore so many people who would seem to be the ideal types of dedicated Bradley supporters who have already displayed their loyalty and generosity through their past support.

Comment

Coach,

Is the limit on who can donate or is it just a matter of the people included in that group make a decision as to who the funds are used to help recruit? I'm assuming the latter, but my hope would be that this group wouldn't have any influence on the actual recruiting other than helping to finance it. We need to let the recruitment process be done by the guys we hired to do the job.
                        Larry Bird
                        I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                          Coach,

Is the limit on who can donate or is it just a matter of the people included in that group make a decision as to who the funds are used to help recruit? I'm assuming the latter, but my hope would be that this group wouldn't have any influence on the actual recruiting other than helping to finance it. We need to let the recruitment process be done by the guys we hired to do the job.
                          Don't really know. In that interview, they suggested they would eventually like to get others to participate and maybe contribute, but so far they are working only with the members they currently have, which they said was "capped" at 50 members. And I suspect whatever NIL deals come out of this will probably be channeled through some kind of decision-making group that will approach the athletes, though that was not made clear.
                          They wouldn't have anything directly to do with recruiting, though. That would be an NCAA violation. Maybe indirectly, the presence of NIL deals at Bradley could have some effect on recruiting, though that remains to be seen.

As I said above, regarding the story about the NIL deal Nijel Pack got at Miami ($800,000 and a car), there are now blurred lines between these NIL deals and violating the NCAA impermissible benefits rules. I noticed the spokesmen for the Home of the Brave collective openly stated in that WMBD interview that their main intent is to keep athletes playing for Bradley, rather than have them leave for another school, and to get attendance numbers back up to 9-10,000. Those intentions sound a bit different that what was the main purpose of the NIL concept, which is simply to allow student-athletes to retain the ownership rights to their name, image, and likeness.

Comment

Don't really know. In that interview, they suggested they would eventually like to get others to participate and maybe contribute, but so far they are working only with the members they currently have, which they said was "capped" at 50 members. And I suspect whatever NIL deals come out of this will probably be channeled through some kind of decision-making group that will approach the athletes, though that was not made clear.
                            They wouldn't have anything directly to do with recruiting, though. That would be an NCAA violation. Maybe indirectly, the presence of NIL deals at Bradley could have some effect on recruiting, though that remains to be seen.

As I said above, regarding the story about the NIL deal Nijel Pack got at Miami ($800,000 and a car), there are now blurred lines between these NIL deals and violating the NCAA impermissible benefits rules. I noticed the spokesmen for the Home of the Brave collective openly stated in that WMBD interview that their main intent is to keep athletes playing for Bradley, rather than have them leave for another school, and to get attendance numbers back up to 9-10,000. Those intentions sound a bit different that what was the main purpose of the NIL concept, which is simply to allow student-athletes to retain the ownership rights to their name, image, and likeness.
                            Either way They are going to have to create some rules and regulations to monitor this and then enforce it. If it was upto me I would say if you are making that much money you dont need a scholarship. You can pay for school yourself. Give the scholarship to someone who really needs it

Comment

New collective of Bradley supporters to help facilitate NIL opportunities for Bradley athletes- "Home of the Brave"
                              Home of the Brave is a member-driven organization that provides exclusive benefits to its members, connecting them to Bradley Men’s Basketball student-athletes through Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) opportunities.
                              The Bradley NIL initiative, Home of the Brave, held a signing event tonight for all the players-

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X