2024-25 Bradley roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUfan14 View Post

Are Dillon, Zek, Thomas better than Hickman, Leons? I think it may be equal at best. So I'm not sure how much we've improved, though I do like all three of those acquisitions. We've mainly improved through the Valley being weaker. But if we are a top 70 team now (early rankings) why not try to be top 50 and maybe win a couple postseason games?

I can be on board spots 1-12, but Biliew being 13 is dumbfounding to me. We are essentially creating the same position imbalance (5 guards, 1 guard/forward and 7 forwards/posts) and lack of depth we had last year. Remember also, other than a few weeks of Hickman, we were incredibly lucky injury wise last year.

You want to bring back Linke as the backup big and hopefully Thomas and Hannah stay healthy? Alright, not sure it is what I would do, but I get it.

You want to keep Meta around and hope he can develop somewhat playable athleticism/quickness? Fine. There's your 13th man though.

The freshman seem like they might be at least solid down the road, but neither seem like immediate huge impacts from the leagues they came from.

So with three pretty big development projects and Linke as a for sure backup, can really afford to spend roster spot 9 on Biliew? It's not like we can't offer a chance at playing time. 9-10 guys can play, and even within that top 8 that seems like it'll be for sure rotation players were Davis, Atlason, and Burch (for the record I really like all of them and their potential) so great last year we can't even bring in competition for their minutes? Every year you have players returning is a year to really go for it in today's recruiting world. Who knows what next year brings, so go get one more guy who can potentially be an impact player. Why knowingly waste a spot?
    Thomas gives us a presence inside we have not had for a long time. His ability to pass to shooters outside adds alot to our offense with our 3 point shooters from the corners

Comment

Are Dillon, Zek, Thomas better than Hickman, Leons? I think it may be equal at best. So I'm not sure how much we've improved, though I do like all three of those acquisitions. We've mainly improved through the Valley being weaker. But if we are a top 70 team now (early rankings) why not try to be top 50 and maybe win a couple postseason games?

I can be on board spots 1-12, but Biliew being 13 is dumbfounding to me. We are essentially creating the same position imbalance (5 guards, 1 guard/forward and 7 forwards/posts) and lack of depth we had last year. Remember also, other than a few weeks of Hickman, we were incredibly lucky injury wise last year.

You want to bring back Linke as the backup big and hopefully Thomas and Hannah stay healthy? Alright, not sure it is what I would do, but I get it.

You want to keep Meta around and hope he can develop somewhat playable athleticism/quickness? Fine. There's your 13th man though.

The freshman seem like they might be at least solid down the road, but neither seem like immediate huge impacts from the leagues they came from.

So with three pretty big development projects and Linke as a for sure backup, can really afford to spend roster spot 9 on Biliew? It's not like we can't offer a chance at playing time. 9-10 guys can play, and even within that top 8 that seems like it'll be for sure rotation players were Davis, Atlason, and Burch (for the record I really like all of them and their potential) so great last year we can't even bring in competition for their minutes? Every year you have players returning is a year to really go for it in today's recruiting world. Who knows what next year brings, so go get one more guy who can potentially be an impact player. Why knowingly waste a spot?
      Can't argue with this. I just don't know if there's anyone still out there who would be a good fit and would get PT with all we've got. I don't think Billew or Linke really deserves a scholarship, but if the intent is for Linke to play as much as the end of last season, it's justified.

I guess I'm playing devil's advocate and seeing this year's team with a bit more depth than last season, assuming that CT is about as productive as Hannah was last year.
      Hickman can be replaced, and yeah I think the trade-off for Zek is about even, with more athleticism and height (defense is about even IMO) from Zek.
      No clue about the local kid Dillon. I hope he's like Ville with better D.
      I do get the concern for the transfers as they've been very weak the last few seasons, but I have faith in our pick-ups.
      Replacing Mal? He was one of a kind!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBrave View Post
        Can't argue with this. I just don't know if there's anyone still out there who would be a good fit and would get PT with all we've got....
        I think you are right here. Look at the players that have committed to other MVC teams in the last several weeks - https://verbalcommits.com/conferences/missouri-valley

I have looked up the history and stats of each of them, and most, not all, do look like they can play at D1, but none of them appear to be immediate impact players, and many of them appear to be no better than bench depth. I am not sure any of them would make Bradley a significantly better team. And if a recruit comes in and doesn't get a lot of playing time right away, he's going to pack up and leave after one season, anyway. That appears to be what they all do. It's crazy to see so many players leave a good school and transfer to a school like Nicholls State, Texas A&M-Commerce, or even D2 schools instead of staying and getting a degree from a much better academic school that will pay off the rest of their lives. Many of the kids in the portal will end up unhappy (see Zek's history) or won't end up with any offers and will never find another school willing to give them a scholarship.
        I trust our coaches will do what's best for the future of Bradley's team.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

I think you are right here. Look at the players that have committed to other MVC teams in the last several weeks - https://verbalcommits.com/conferences/missouri-valley

I have looked up the history and stats of each of them, and most, not all, do look like they can play at D1, but none of them appear to be immediate impact players, and many of them appear to be no better than bench depth. I am not sure any of them would make Bradley a significantly better team. And if a recruit comes in and doesn't get a lot of playing time right away, he's going to pack up and leave after one season, anyway. That appears to be what they all do. It's crazy to see so many players leave a good school and transfer to a school like Nicholls State, Texas A&M-Commerce, or even D2 schools instead of staying and getting a degree from a much better academic school that will pay off the rest of their lives. Many of the kids in the portal will end up unhappy (see Zek's history) or won't end up with any offers and will never find another school willing to give them a scholarship.
          I trust our coaches will do what's best for the future of Bradley's team.
          While I understand MVC recruiting is tough right now, we should be in a much better spot than every other MVC school and should have tournament aspirations. That’s just on the court much less the NIL stuff we are supposed to have a lot of.

Also even if its a 10% shot they contribute this year or grow for next year isn’t that better than the 0% shot Biliew contributes this year or beyond? I get it’s a risk, but I just don’t understand how punting the spot is better than the risk. At worst they do the same thing Biliew does. Plus we could use a other guard for roster balance.

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

Thomas gives us a presence inside we have not had for a long time. His ability to pass to shooters outside adds alot to our offense with our 3 point shooters from the corners
            Rienk Mast seemed pretty good at that too. I do like this addition a lot, but as someone else said Mal is going to be hard to replace. He and Hick were our best defenders. Zek wasn’t a great defender nor shooter last year. I like bringing Zek back, but I think many are severely underestimating what Hick brought to the table to say they are a wash. Our defense will be interesting this year for sure losing our two best. Our best perimeter defender may well be Davis at this juncture, not knowing how well the new guys can defend.

Comment

Rienk Mast seemed pretty good at that too. I do like this addition a lot, but as someone else said Mal is going to be hard to replace. He and Hick were our best defenders. Zek wasn’t a great defender nor shooter last year. I like bringing Zek back, but I think many are severely underestimating what Hick brought to the table to say they are a wash. Our defense will be interesting this year for sure losing our two best. Our best perimeter defender may well be Davis at this juncture, not knowing how well the new guys can defend.
              I have seen Thomas play and was really impressed with him. He did some things around the basket I did not even see Mast do. And he was a great passer

Comment

Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

I have seen Thomas play and was really impressed with him. He did some things around the basket I did not even see Mast do. And he was a great passer
                This is GREAT! I've heard a LOT of great things about CT.

I think Zek is a great defender from what I saw from him in Year 2, but maybe didn't show it last season. He also was a reliable 3-point shooter for BU his first 2 seasons, and has a mid-range jumper/floater as good as Hick's. Don't get me wrong - going to miss Hick, but I think Zek can fill his shoes, even though he may not get the minutes that Hickman got.

I actually think Zek can be 3rd (or even 2nd) team MVC for his final season...just a question of how bad he wants to make this season his best yet.

Comment

Going to be a REALLY fun team to watch!
                  Long, athletic, close-knit...let's hope they can gel sooner than later, as non-conf wins will be critical to NCAA tourney chances!

As in every season, there are some hiccups and learning curves in all the combos, and we should have more guys to "try out" to eventually get Wardle's preferred 8-man rotation when MVC play begins.
                  Would be nice to be as deep as that 2005-'06 team!

Comment

Let's win 30 and leave no doubt this year.
                    Larry Bird
                    I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                      Why only 30, Tommy?

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBrave View Post

Why only 30, Tommy?
                        haha, under-promise, over-deliver?
                        Larry Bird
                        I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                          I don't know, Tommy. Nowadays I think a Valley team would need to win 40 to 50 games in the regular season to get an at large bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Classof77 View Post

I don't know, Tommy. Nowadays I think a Valley team would need to win 40 to 50 games in the regular season to get an at large bid.
                            haha, most probably correct, my friend!
                            Larry Bird

Comment

Dave Eminian has an article in the PJ Star projecting the starters for 2024-25. It is a subscription-only article on the PJ Star website.
                              However, it is available free on other sites like Yahoo and AOL- https://www.aol.com/start-bradley-ba...115935670.html

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                                Dave Eminian has an article in the PJ Star projecting the starters for 2024-25. It is a subscription-only article on the PJ Star website.
                                However, it is available free on other sites like Yahoo and AOL- https://www.aol.com/start-bradley-ba...115935670.html
                                I see the starters being Deen,Dillon, Montgomery, Hannah and Thomas. I think Davis ,Burch , Atlason and Johnson to get many minutes off the bench. Jonovic"s playing time will depend on his improvement over the summer but because we do not have many bigs we really need him to be better. The Italian guy could help some if he can play defense because he appears to be good offensively. I just wish the last 2 spots would be filled with younger players.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X