Kirk Wessler/Journalistic Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirk Wessler/Journalistic Standards

In his column today, Kirk Wessler says that Mike Suggs was sent packing because of failed drug tests.
    "Mike Suggs and Ray Brown were ultimately kicked off the team for failing drug tests."

Well.....in saying so, is this fair??
    Does he have a reference he can quote?
    Because Bradley has never said this and really it is not true.
    First....the school has never issues a release saying anything about Mike Suggs' drug tests. Plus, even a failed drug test doesn't mean a kid is dismissed, and in this case, Suggs left on his own and transferred, but would have been able to stay with the team.
    AND if he did fail a drug test (and I won't speak to it because there are no viable sources to this effect) he can still comply with the set standard actions for this situation and be reinstated.

So I call on KW to explain this.

I don't understand why KW even wrote todays story.

Comment

Originally posted by bu fan 9 View Post
      Because any chance he can get to rip on Les, he does. Notice how you rarely see a Wessler article after a BU win. The fact that the website guy said Les should be fired is bad enough, but for KW to bring it up again shows you his intentions. Especially considering he didn't disagree.

Comment

KW left out the pay for summer jobs not worked...

Comment

Don't Buy the PJS!

If more people stop buying and reading this drivel then it will go away! When something causes me pain I stop and take care of whatever the root problem is!

Don't buy the PJS!

Comment

How many people actually believe his opening comments?

The first time the question was put to me last week, I was mildly startled. Then I heard it again. And again.
            Do you think Bradley is running a renegade basketball program?

Does anyone really believe person after person ... again and again (the poor guy was litererally being mobbed) ... was coming up to KW and asking this question? If you believe it, then God help you as you go through life because you are a lamb-like in your trust of fools.

Since KW said the answer to the oft-repeated question is "no." then if Wessler has a shred of professional integrity, he will directly contact Kyle Whelliston and explain why Whelliston had erred in his column. After all, the two KWs are part of the same professional group of sports writers and there is some obligation to set the record straight between the members of the fraternity.

Comment

If President Glasser wants to improve the university's relationship with the community, she should pick up the phone, call the CEO & Publisher of the PJS, and ask what the **** is going on at that paper. Has the PJS decided to become a wedge in the Peoria community?

Comment

Originally posted by bu fan 9 View Post
                I don't either. Kirk should be the Jerk, again, in his next Kirks and Jerks award. Maybe he had a 'Six Pack' before he wrote it. I'm starting to go along with a lot of you regarding the PJS. But for now I'll keep loging on because it's my only source of information (quotes).

Comment

Pretending these problems don't exist with college athletes and doing NOTHING about or covering the one's that get caught define a "Renegade" program to me.

Renegade programs don't graduate (BU DOES!) and don't care about their players future. BU players regularly stay in the community and stay around the program because they all know hom much we ALL care for them.

One is free to be upset about the issues surrounding our team but IMO we are FAR from being a "Renegade" program, please.

JL has NEVER been afraid to suspend a player if a problem arose. If someone can come up with a situation were there hasn't been punishment issued I would challenge do so.

As to KW hearing "talk of our Renegade program again and again," minus searching the outerreaches of the internet IMO he is delusional.

He is simply lookin for an angle for a column on this topic and he found it.
                  Get Well Massive Mike! "Once a Brave always a Brave!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas Brave View Post
                    How many people actually believe his opening comments?

The first time the question was put to me last week, I was mildly startled. Then I heard it again. And again.
                    Do you think Bradley is running a renegade basketball program?

Does anyone really believe person after person ... again and again (the poor guy was litererally being mobbed) ... was coming up to KW and asking this question? If you believe it, then God help you as you go through life because you are a lamb-like in your trust of fools.

Since KW said the answer to the oft-repeated question is "no." then if Wessler has a shred of professional integrity, he will directly contact Kyle Whelliston and explain why Whelliston had erred in his column. After all, the two KWs are part of the same professional group of sports writers and there is some obligation to set the record straight between the members of the fraternity.
                    That is a very contrived statement to say the least. But then again, look where Wessler works! I am not going to hold my breath for Krik to call Whelliston either.
                    Bradley 72 - Illini 68 Final

???It??™s awful hard,??™??™ said Illini freshman guard D.J. Richardson, the former Central High School guard who played prep school ball a few miles from here and fought back tears outside the locker room. ???It??™s a hometown thing. It??™s bragging rights.??™

Comment

Originally posted by daPAWW1 View Post
                      If more people stop buying and reading this drivel then it will go away! When something causes me pain I stop and take care of whatever the root problem is!

Don't buy the PJS!

I'll give Wessler this much. He did commend Les for doing the right thing in the Ruffin situation. But he then offsets that comment with the "poor perception" statement at the very end of his column. So I'm not sure what his intentions are, but I'd question where all of these Bradley "dissenters" are coming from.

And agreed about not supporting these newspapers, with one additional comment. People should stop reading the online version as well, which I just did unfortunately. But maybe from now on I'll think twice before reading a KW article again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravesfan View Post
                        I'll give Wessler this much. He did commend Les for doing the right thing in the Ruffin situation.

All I remember is him commeding Glasser, not Les.

Comment

Originally posted by daPAWW1 View Post

Don't buy the PJS!
                          I know where you are coming from but should comments made in the PJS go unchecked or unchallanged? From my personal experience with a local topic that was reported incorrectly, I dont think so.

and fwiw.. I dont buy the local rag. I will read the PJS at work where I can get a copy of the paper to read for FREE!

???It??™s awful hard,??™??™ said Illini freshman guard D.J. Richardson, the former Central High School guard who played prep school ball a few miles from here and fought back tears outside the locker room. ???It??™s a hometown thing. It??™s bragging rights.??™

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas Brave View Post
                            If President Glasser wants to improve the university's relationship with the community, she should pick up the phone, call the CEO & Publisher of the PJS, and ask what the **** is going on at that paper. Has the PJS decided to become a wedge in the Peoria community?
                            Agree with your point Dallas, but disagree with the solution.

She could try that, but I wouldnt rely on the PJS for a solution to a BU concern. I think the solution is a political one that is well within reach between the President,the University, and the Athletic Department. I hope all parties addess this during the summer.

To quote an old saying: "There is more than one way to skin a cat."

Comment

He didn't commend Glasser, he only said he'd be willing to accept the actions she took.

Plus, I checked with a medical authority, and by commenting publicly on a drug test taken by a private individual....
                              unless there is a signed authorization from Mike Suggs himself, then it may have violated the strict Federal Medical Privacy Act (the HIPPA Law) to publicize this.
                              The reason this doesn't apply to the Ray Brown situation is that the university, to whom Brown already yielded such authority, had already made those results known, making such information public.
                              BUT not so in the case with Suggs, since no public release of such a test result was ever made, and I know of no announcement of the reason Suggs left or the cause, except for the same rumors that existed.
                              On Nov. 18, 2004, Dave Reynolds called Mike Suggs transfer "VOLUNTARY".

"...voluntary exodus of talent from The Hilltop beginning with Ben Coupet in '96 and ending with Mike Suggs this fall"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X