Is Janet any relation to Joanne?![]()
One D1 head coach who many thought was on the "hot seat" this season was Dave Leitao of DePaul. But despite going just 3-15 in the Big East and finishing in last place for the 4th straight season, Leitao just got a contract extension through 2023-24 from DePaul. Leitao is a good guy and it's nice for him, but DePaul fans are not too happy with this.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...80556186619905
Note that the replies to this tweet are not so kind.
.... Former BU President was Joanne Glasser. I don't know where she is. Anyone know where?
Who is Janet Glasser? Former BU President was Joanne Glasser. I don’t know where she is. Anyone know where?
But Geez why wait until April 25 to fire him ?
That was my first thought. Apparently, their AD took 6 weeks to do a "comprehensive review".
Here is a clip from the article I posted the link to-
Wake Forest Athletics Director John Currie announced the decision to end Manning's tenure after six seasons on Saturday morning.
“After a comprehensive review of the men’s basketball program, and with the support of President (Nathan) Hatch and university leadership, I have determined that it is time for a change in our head coaching position,'' Currie said through a news release. “We thank Coach Manning, (wife) Julie and (son) Evan for their service to Wake Forest and for their commitment to our student-athletes and the Winston-Salem community over the past six years.”
I've read several articles suggesting possible candidates to replace Manning, and some seem to think former Michigan head coach (and recent Cleveland Cavaliers HC) John Beilein is the leading candidate.
Other names mentioned include-
Steve Forbes- Head Coach at East Tennessee State
Pat Kelsey - Head Coach at Winthrop
Thad Matta - Former head coach at Ohio State
Matt McMahon - Head Coach at Murray State
Wes Miller - Head Coach at UNC Greensboro
Ryan Odom - Head Coach at UMBC
Mark Prosser - Head Coach at Western Carolina
Bob Richey - Head Coach at Furman
Russell Turner - Head Coach at UC Irvine
Does anyone else get nervous when nearby Power 5 jobs come open? I’m hearing Chris Collins could be In the mix at Wake. That leaves a Big Ten job open close to where Coach W is from. Maybe I’m just paranoid. Do you guys connect these conspiracy dots or is it just me. Love to know your thoughts. Lol!
Yes, because a lot of those get filled by successful mid-major coaches, and the Wake Forest job might be, too.
I delved into the background of the Wake Forest AD to see if he had any past ties to the Midwest or to Brian Wardle. Thankfully, he doesn't. I think we're quite safe with this Wake Forest opening. However, the domino effect could kick in if they hire a head coach from another school, then it will lead to another opening(s).
I have seen Chris Collins' name mentioned, but I can't see that happening. Collins is 109-119 at Northwestern in 7 seasons, and a horrendous 43-87 record in the BIg Ten. He has only had 1 winning Big Ten season out of 7, and is coming off his worst season yet with a 8-23 record and 3-17 in the BIg Ten.
Maybe a more worrisome "connect the dots" scenario might be if Wake Forest hired the Marquette Head Coach Steve Wociechowski. He is from the East Coast, played at Duke, just a few miles from the WFU campus in Winston-Salem, and he has had far more success at Marquette than Collins has had at Northwestern. Wojo has had 5 winning seasons in row in the Big East, which is the top conference in the country. And he has recruited and developed a 1st team All-American and national scoring leader at Marquette, Markus Howard.
But, I actually think it is very unlikely Wake will go after Wojciechowski. So far, he has not been mentioned by anyone as a candidate.
Jeff Goodman reports that the leading 2 candidates are UNC Greensboro's Wes Miller and East Tennessee State's Steve Forbes-
https://thespun.com/acc/wake-forest/...-miller-forbes
It is being reported that John Beilein is not a candidate.
https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nba...te-wake-forest
East Tennessee State has named Assistant Coach Jason Shay as their Interim Head Coach-
https://www.etsubucs.com/athletics/s...38/jason-shay/
Does anyone else get nervous when nearby Power 5 jobs come open? I’m hearing Chris Collins could be In the mix at Wake. That leaves a Big Ten job open close to where Coach W is from. Maybe I’m just paranoid. Do you guys connect these conspiracy dots or is it just me. Love to know your thoughts. Lol!
POB, you're not paranoid and this is not conspiracy thinking in the least. BW has won 20+ games three years in a row at a "highly recognizable" mid major. We would be fooling ourselves if we though P5 programs have not taken notice. I don't believe Northwestern is a good job and BW wouldn't take it if offered. If Marquette opens up and BW is offered he takes the job without hesitation. Both he and his wife are alums and ex-student athletes. I told friends after we won The MVC Tournament BW would be the next coach at the University of Minnesota. Richard Pitino survived, at least for another year, so the threat passed for now. Minnesota is a good job and as BW keeps winning other "good" P5 jobs will come calling. The difference today, Bradley is a good job that will attract candidates we can expect will continue the program's success. We have an AD who knows college basketball inside and out. I bet he already has a short list of head coaching targets he will contact in the event BW leaves.
I have confidence BW will continue Bradley's winning ways. I have just as much confidence Chris Reynolds will find and hire the right head coach if and when BW is hired away. Times have changed for Bradley Basketball. We no longer have to settle for the Geno Ford's of college basketball.
Wake Forest has moved quickly to hire East Tennessee State's Steve Forbes.
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...90004747b.html
East Tennessee State has named Assistant Coach Jason Shay as their Interim Head Coach-
https://www.etsubucs.com/athletics/s...38/jason-shay/
2 new coaching jobs just opened, both in the SWAC conference:
Alcorn State's Head Coach Montez Robinson's contract was not renewed. He was 69-86 in 5 seasons-
https://www.vicksburgpost.com/2020/0...binson-pruitt/
Alabama State parts ways with head coach Lewis Jackson. He was 207-262 in 15 seasons. They were 8-24 this past season.
It was announced as a resignation- https://bamastatesports.com/news/20...esignation-as-head-coach-of-bamastatembb.aspx