Da Coach said:
I can't agree. By moving to the Civic Center, Bradley has been abole to draw much better teams into Peoria, and the added revenues from ticket sales has boosted Bradley tremendously. Does anyone think Bradley would be able to charge the kind of ticket prices, and maintenance fees they have now if they still played in the Fieldhouse? It also would have cost Bradley enormous sums of money to keep the facility up to the standard of a Div I arena, and would still be facing the same dilemma that they are now-- it's outdated, antiquated, and dilapidated. And the ability to recruit top players and coaches would have been severly limited.
There would be very little difference between Bradley and Drake over the last 25 years if they had stayed at the Fieldhouse.
DC, I agree with much of what you have said. However, I just think that BU's planning here was short-sighted. I truly believe that it was a mistake to move BU basketball off campus. I went to games at PCC immediately after it opened and was at games prior at The Fieldhouse, and I can tell you that school spirit amongst the students dropped dramatically.
As a student in the mid-80's I can tell you that I was constantly having to talk friends in to jumping a bus to go to a game at PCC. And the "buzz" that previously existed at The Fieldhouse was rare (though it was no better when JL drove to the hoop against ISU sending the game to OT :wink: ) The Fieldhouse just seemed "electric" to me. Maybe I'm just blinded by nostalgia :?
I also think BU should have considered an on-campus facility this time around, as well. I understand economics played a huge role in both decisions, and that the Admin. simply did what they had to do to keep the team and facility competitive, I just don't like it.
I do think good teams would have come to The Fieldhouse (or similar "cozy" on-campus facility today. I think it's more a function of conference and team success/reputation as well as a good AD's ability to schedule. Just look at Cameron (Duke) and Butler, to name two. I remember plenty of good teams coming to The Fieldhouse in the 70's (I know, times have changed).
I also don't think the PCC has much to do with recruiting top players since the team doesn't practice or workout there. I think recruiting is more a function of tradition, coaching, and conference spotlight.
Let me conclude, I agree The Fieldhouse would have needed a lot of improvement (and BU probably didn't have the money to do it at the time). However, I think the Admin is dropping the ball on it this time by only building a training facility/arena for women's games. We may be second guessing this decision in the future
