PJStar-BU squabble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bradley apologizes

and comparing me to Keith Obermann.. really?

Comment

I like listening to Keith as long as he sticks to sports

Bradley's apology - and I will post the PJ Star's apology as soon as they issue it...

Comment

They emphasize that they expect "fair and accurate coverage", which they are implying they have not gotten from the PJ Star.
        The PJ Star reporter will be granted "equivalent media access"- that sounds like they are saying no more and no less than anyone else from the media, and not some kind of special greater access the PJ Star was demanded
        It would be nice if that puts this to rest, but the PJ Star will do everything they can to keep the story alive and to try to make Bradley look bad. They love playing the victim, and expect to get their way, and they don't care who is hurt by their never-ending self aggrandisement.
        I still would like them to explain why they didn't bring this up earlier if it has been an issue for months, and why they had their hockey writer do the hit piece.

And tornado is right- is there anyone who believes Chris Reynolds or Brian Wardle aren't fair and reasonable people? Or Gary Roberts, who the PJ Star people went crying to? One certainly has to wonder if we are only hearing one side of this that is biased, distorted, and not completely truthful.

Comment

killer: all sarcasm aside....is the comparison to Keith an insult or compliment?

I was including a journalistic grouping that would include you both. My apologies if i overreached.

I am still perplexed that this is now a story when the PJS folks have been having these discussions for weeks.

Comment

and Dr. Gary Roberts statement - I think case closed on this

"The article in the Peoria Journal Star on Saturday, March 16, relating to the Bradley men’s basketball program’s interaction with Peoria Journal Star writer Dave Reynolds took me by surprise. I knew there were issues between Dave and Coach Wardle in the past and I was under the impression that those issues had been resolved.

I do not know for sure what happened between Dave Reynolds and representatives of the men’s basketball program other than what is recounted in the article. I am also unaware and unclear about any policy that the men’s basketball program has informally applied to Dave or anyone else. I will certainly look into the matter. What I can say at this time is the following:
            1. I personally and Bradley University institutionally do not believe that it is the job or duty of anyone in the media or any media outlet to promote Bradley’s brand. It is the media’s job to report the news and facts in a truthful and unbiased way and occasionally to express opinions that are reasoned and based on accurate facts as best they know them.
            2. There is certainly no formal policy at Bradley University that allows for barring or limiting access to any member of the media or any media outlet. If that has occurred, it was inconsistent with Bradley’s general attitude toward the media and what I would regard as the implicit policy of the University.
            3. Going forward, all employees of Bradley University will be informed that it is Bradley’s policy that all members of the media are to be treated on a non-discriminatory basis when it comes to access to information and people.

I hope this clarifies the position of Bradley University that some have called into question.

Bradley’s men’s basketball team has come a long way and accomplished much this year. Everyone associated with Bradley should be proud and excited for this outstanding group of young men who have distinguished themselves not only on the basketball court but in the classroom and the community as well. We want very much to focus on these young men and their accomplishments and to prepare for our participation in the NCAA Tournament. This time should not be about a quarrel between adults that may have led to missteps that will not be repeated. Go Braves!

Gary Roberts
            President"

Comment

Anybody who thinks this isn't a national embarrassment is kidding themselves. I just had a former law professor of mine post the story on my Facebook timeline, for god's sake. I understand that people on this board see PJS conspiracies around every corner, but there is a certain standard of behavior expected of GROWNUPS. If I were Gary Roberts, there would be some LONG talks coming with CR and BW about adult behavior and sound judgment, and any raise I had in mind for the two would be in serious jeopardy. In merely 24 hours, these clowns have turned Bradley from the darling of the national sports media to a PUNCHLINE.

Comment

I can see some feel that way...but the national embarrassment around Peoria for the past 20-30 years is the sports coverage by the PJ Star..

all Bradley's asking for is fair coverage - maybe it's time they stood up to the mistreatment that the PJS has given them over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by brocks View Post
                  Anybody who thinks this isn't a national embarrassment is kidding themselves. I just had a former law professor of mine post the story on my Facebook timeline, for god's sake. I understand that people on this board see PJS conspiracies around every corner, but there is a certain standard of behavior expected of GROWNUPS. If I were Gary Roberts, there would be some LONG talks coming with CR and BW about adult behavior and sound judgment, and any raise I had in mind for the two would be in serious jeopardy. In merely 24 hours, these clowns have turned Bradley from the darling of the national sports media to a PUNCHLINE.
                  So what if a former law professor posted this on your stream, social media isn't the end all be all of importance. Furthermore, nobody ever mentioned conspiracy when discussing the PJS, we simply think the coverage has been garbage for years.

And 'certain standard of behavior' required is an entirely subjective thing. I for one have absolutely no issue with the way anyone at Bradley handled this situation, and I find the response from the PJS far more immature than what BU did. What BU did was in private, the PJS made it a public issue, so you tell me, who made it a bigger deal?

Bradley isn't a punchline and you need to step down off the ledge. 99% of the people in the country could care less about this story. Let's be real here, do you think anyone will remember any of this 3 months from now? Heck, 1 month from now? Go no further than the national news and how quickly today's outrage is replaced with next week's outrage and you'll recognize just how ridiculous it is to worry about any of this overblown blather.
                  Larry Bird
                  I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Neither side handled this well, period. I'm not going to pretend I know all the parameters of freedom of the press, I would assume being a private institution Bradley does have the right to limit access to individuals. That being said, Bradley doesn't have the right to implore a journalist to be a spokesman for the brand. They also should have waited to handle this in the offseason behind closed doors instead of trying to impose this at a time where they are getting more than normal attention. While the Journal Star is nothing more than a rag anymore, they certainly ran this story knowing full well what kind attention it would get for them. Some people I have talked to have commented that the paywall has been removed from the original article, which definitely hints toward the Journal Star trying to maximize readership on it (not that it takes much to get an easy complimentary account to read it, but people are lazy). I noticed the paywall is still on the Bradley apology article, so you can read between the lines there.

In the local area, this doesn't look good for either side, more broadly this looks worse on Bradley. This is being picked up and retweeted by many national sportswriters and they will spin it as they see fit, but I haven't see one on Bradley's side. Ultimately, this looks bad on Wardle and I hope it does not affect recruiting.
                    Walk on, Walk on
                    With hope in your hearts,
                    and You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrebyrd View Post
                      I would assume being a private institution Bradley does have the right to limit access to individuals. That being said, Bradley doesn't have the right to implore a journalist to be a spokesman for the brand. They also should have waited to handle this in the offseason behind closed doors instead of trying to impose this at a time where they are getting more than normal attention.
                      1. Bradley doesn't have the right to implore a journalist to be a spokesman for the brand? Really? I wasn't aware that this was against the law and we are living in communist China.
                      2. This was handled privately. The PJS took it to the public because they weren't granted special permissions according to what has been posted previously here. Either way, Bradley didn't take this to the public, the PJS did.
                      3. Again, who cares what is going on in the media. Do you honestly think this will be in anyone's thoughts a month or even a week from now?

Larry Bird
                      I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post

1. Bradley doesn't have the right to implore a journalist to be a spokesman for the brand? Really? I wasn't aware that this was against the law and we are living in communist China.
                        2. This was handled privately. The PJS took it to the public because they weren't granted special permissions according to what has been posted previously here. Either way, Bradley didn't take this to the public, the PJS did.
                        3. Again, who cares what is going on in the media. Do you honestly think this will be in anyone's thoughts a month or even a week from now?

#1 is pretty ridiculous. It would actually be more of a communist idea to impose an unpaid journalist to support your brand, but in today's political climate, I can understand how you wouldn't understand how capitalism and communism are different. I even said they probably have the right to deny access, but they can not force a journalist to write how they want them to.
                        Walk on, Walk on
                        With hope in your hearts,
                        and You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrebyrd View Post

#1 is pretty ridiculous. It would actually be more of a communist idea to impose
                          You didn't say impose, you said implore.

I don't believe that Bradley COULD impose, and there is no indication that they were TRYING to impose that on the press if they wanted to, so I stand by my statements.

It's difficult to respond to your comments when you change the words that you use.

There's no evidence they were denying access. From what I've read here, they were asking for special access, not equal access.
                          Larry Bird

Comment

BU needs to avoid fights with the media. It doesn’t end well and the timing is terrible and distracting. It may get mentioned during the telecast and in further national articles. It has done much more harm than good. I don’t like the PJS coverage, don’t think it has been fair or accurate and have not for many years but....
                            houstonbrave

Comment

Originally posted by brocks View Post
                              So the PJS should be allowed to bully and force people or entities to give in to their demands or they will take their gripes public and try to do as much damage as possible? Because that is what they have attempted to do.
                              Maybe they might think they won, but I guarantee that this will do nothing to endear the PJ Star writers to Bradley, Coach Wardle, or anyone else there. In the end, they have accomplished nothing except to try to force themselves into the spotlight for a few minutes, and get a few feelgood minutes. Anyone who thinks this will result in improvement in their coverage of Bradley is fooling themselves.

Comment

If BU won't rescind Cosby's honorary degree, and Kentucky retires the numbers of 50's era scalpers, there is no good reason why Bradley doesn't honor Squeaky. A young man with a family who used poor judgement. If he threw a game, I'd understand their decision. He didn't but paid a tremendous price. Better than Cousy. Sorry to be off topic. First post. Go Braves!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X