Collapse

PJStar-BU squabble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have not posted much on either board this year...just too much going on.....I have been known to stick up for the PJS in the past.....but here's my take FWIW

I've always thought Dave was pretty good toward BU for the most.....especially during some brutal times.....
    BW is pretty controlling IMO of all media around BU.....I would explain more but I promised....sorry you will have to take my word for it...
    The articles by the PJS were pretty harsh for sure......the way BU handled DR was not right either though...…
    The articles this morning were over the top and should never have seen the light of day...they were not necessary...shame on PJS for those
    I'm really happy BW apologized...it was necessary......maybe him and Dave will improve their relationship and be similar to Mo and Phil T as time goes on
    Kudos to Roberts and Chris Reynolds too.....

It should never have gotten to this point and both sides should shoulder some blame...this whole thing could have been avoided

Comment

. Behind you 100% Coach. Shame on the unreal star for stirring all this up at a time when the Braves are NCAA bound.
      What part of illegal don't you understand?

Comment

Just my 2 cents

Originally posted by lefty View Post
        especially during some brutal times.....
        but the descent into the brutal times was actually fueled by the PJS - they did more than just cheer on the firing of Jim Les and the massive changes by Joanne & MC - they actually called for some of them and misled the fans about others

BW is pretty controlling IMO of all media
        I think most fans see he is intense and protective - but so was Versace and I think the fans would love to have a carbon copy of him

...this whole thing could have been avoided
        Amen - but if you read the columns - this mostly transpired 3-4 years ago then a meeting in January and then little communication since-
        but there was a continuation of the type of negativity by PJS that Bradley people were upset about -

Eminian & Vlahos who have little to do wth BU or sports, then chose to hit back in the wildest & hardest way they could to produce the most damage.
        Not too different from 2015 when Bradley fired Geno and Kirk fought back by attacking one of Bradley's new hire candidates with a complete front page headline smear with a take him out-hit piece. I know there's people that defend freedom of the press and the right to say whatever in the name of "columnist" but the PJS bias & attacks against Bradley have been unfair, often dishonest and perpetual.

and one more thing - if you are critical of BW for his "controlling" then what the hey would you say about Eminian & Vlahos?

Brian Wardle never came within a ZILLION miles of acting like they did or going public with a bunch of insults, smears and attacks aimed directly at PJS personnel by name! Maybe he had some beefs but he kept it confidential like any reasonable & mature adult would. BW never stooped to such a childish schoolyard rant just to take them down.

But these guys at PJS are huge a**h***s for dragging out something supposedly said in confidence FOUR YEARS ago just to strike back and bury the guy. And where would that supposed "quote" from 2015 come from? Surely if Wardle met with the PJS sportswriters, Eminian (who wrote for hockey) and Vlahos who never writes sports would NOT have been there. So it must have come from Dave Reynolds -
        So this is the way a free and impartial press operates? They identify who they like and who they don't like. They liked Joanne & Geno but they don't like Jim Les or Brian Wardle. Then if they like you they write drooling nice things that aren't even true and they even lie and cover for you when you are the worst thing that's ever happened to Bradley in 120 years. But if they don't like you - they bring out the big guns and destroy you. But all the immature people with those get-even intentions are all still there - so don't expect that this mudfight is over yet. The first time Bradley does something and fails to send a hand-delivered gold-plated invitation to Wes Huett or Dave Eminian, then expect all hell to break loose again - mark my word. Their job performance sucks and they see their employment hanging by a thread and they are not going down easy -

Dave went on 670 The Score - Chicago sports radio
        https://670thescore.radio.com/media/...wardle-bradley

He starts right off saying that in his 40 years he had NEVER before seen anything remotely like this...
        But then he contradicts himself...
        Dave says he's been dealing with feeling "excluded" for the past month - and makes allusions to going back to the statements 3-4 years ago - and quips Wardle said about the coverage being negative - so he goes to the media day thinking he was the one invited-
        then he describes the events -
        He then said this is no different than the way he's been treated before - it has been going on for a while - then Bradley apologized and Dave now says he is happy and is moving beyond this.
        The Chicago guys do keep trying to knock Bradley ...but you'd expect the media guys to stick together.

Comment

The issues with Kirk Wessler go far, FAR back beyond the current political landscape and include a reporter who seemingly LOVED the Glasser administration that nearly ruined Bradley (financially as well as with record low enrollment). To a reporter who kept criticizing a coach who took us to the Sweet 16. And I'm sure even beyond that. KW is well tuned to the opposite of the good things about Bradley. I am actually impressed at how he manages to eschew the good parts of our University while latching on to the bad parts. Its almost as if you did the exact opposite of what KW says....Bradley would be immensely successful. He's the kid who got every single question wrong on the 100 question true/false scantron test.

So for any non-Bradley folks reading this. The reporter in question has been pretty instrumental in some of the WORST decisions Bradley has ever made not only when it comes to coaches and sports. But to general university politics and decisions.

He's basically been persona non-grata for 15+ years. Probably longer. And lots of folks at Bradley are rather pissed at him because instead of building upon the Sweet 16 success, he helped pour water on it, drive an amazing coach out. And supported terrible decisions that took us 13+ years to fix.

Think of it like this. If some newspaper reporter helped to get Izzo fired. Then brought in completely inept new administration to MSU. To the point where MSU's reputation fell to that of a D2 school no one really wanted to go to. How would you feel?

Comment

Originally posted by algotrader View Post
            ..literally a day or two later someone breaks into a newspaper and starts murdering people....
            I agree we need to stay civil but that does go both ways - the PJS has had a petty feud with Bradley for decades going all the way back to Dick Lien and his hit pieces on Versace...then Theobald, then KW...now Eminian & Vlahos...

Comment

We have removed a couple political comments. Please try to understand, and I am sorry if that bothers or offends any poster. We really want to avoid political stuff, and try to focus on and enjoy the current Bradley situation, and the upcoming NCAA game.

And in regards to the PJ Star-BU squabble, both the Bradley people and the PJ Star people seem to want to put this issue behind them, so I encourage fans to do the same. Go Braves!

Comment

Yep we have all moved on ....except for the PJS who had two different folks do live interviews today on The Score in Chicago.....rehashing the whole thing. And the late afternoon interview today revealed that Dave R had his access changed back in January.....so none of this is new .....the PJs folks are perpetuating this as long as they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                  We have removed a couple political comments. Please try to understand, and I am sorry if that bothers or offends any poster. We really want to avoid political stuff, and try to focus on and enjoy the current Bradley situation, and the upcoming NCAA game.

And in regards to the PJ Star-BU squabble, both the Bradley people and the PJ Star people seem to want to put this issue behind them, so I encourage fans to do the same. Go Braves!
                  I very much appreciate this.... this board is where I come to get away from politics.
                  Compete. Defend. Rebound. Win.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

It is the Journal Star who keeps attacking. In todays editorial they say they will not be bullied. They are the ones doing the bullying. After this season is over I will be canceling the paper. I plan on sending my cancelation notice to either Nick Vlahos or his boss stating I don't like their biased, bitter, and attacking tactics

Comment

Originally posted by Bravesfanchicago View Post
                      And the late afternoon interview today revealed that Dave R had his access changed back in January.....so none of this is new .....the PJs folks are perpetuating this as long as they can.
                      I assumed that this was the case reading between the lines. I find it very unfortunate that they decided to sully what should be a great moment for the Student-Athletes for their own vanity and motives. I am honestly shocked that the PJS would keep pushing this issue.

Comment

One more thing on this. I feel extremely sorry for the team. I keep hearing the talking heads on the SCORE say they hope that Bradley loses in the first round. I have seen other national people on Twitter saying the same thing. Regardless what side you take (BU or PJS), the student-athletes have nothing to do with it. So I think its terrible that anyone is wishing that the team loses (outside of MSU fans).

They have no problem promoting teams like Duke or others where players are paid or have had criminal charges. However, this team that is full of scholars, who have done the right things and played the right way are the being vilified for things they weren't involved in.

Comment

heck - most of you guys don't recall but after Bradley went to the Sweet Sixteen in 2006
                          the first column the PJ Star wrote afterwards threw cold water on the whole thing and claimed
                          it was nothing to praise because that's what we should have been doing regularly...
                          then he continued knocking the program until it helped get JL fired...
                          Then he & his cohorts started an endless series of suckup columns wildly exaggerating the quality of Geno Ford's program,
                          claiming his recruits were the best since Anthony Parker - and even Mitchell Anderson/Thirdkill/Reese...
                          and constantly throwing out tag lines like "light years better", "vastly improved" , "building the program the RIGHT WAY"
                          and blaming the tanking of attendance, the losses & downward spiraling, and cancellation of all the popular events
                          like Itoo all on JL & KK...

Comment

The columnist later called Bradley's 2006 season a "fluke" and that it was only because Jim's team got hot for a 6-week stretch.

Comment

"lightning in a bottle"

btw - it appears it's not just the PJS
                              look at the insulting headline that the SIU local rag stoops to & uses to demean Bradley's fine season
                              "Bradley awarded lowest seed in MVC History"
                              https://thesouthern.com/sports/colle...6e14986f2.html

I guess the guy thinks it's such a terrible seed that Bradley should just decline...
                              Maybe he should have added a little note that in part it was the horrible play of every Valley team - especially those who were picked at the top (like Loyola, ISU & SIU who combined for ZERO Quadrant-1 wins - going 0-5) that dragged the entire MVC ranking down.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado View Post
                                btw - it appears it's not just the PJS
                                look at the insulting headline that the SIU local rag stoops to & uses to demean Bradley's fine season
                                "Bradley awarded lowest seed in MVC History"
                                https://thesouthern.com/sports/colle...6e14986f2.html
                                It was also stated in the PJ Star column yesterday afternoon (might have appeared in today's print version) by noted long-time Bradley expert Dave Eminian.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X