Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw that. Wow!

Comment

There are a lot of legitimate reasons for this, and Bradley is 100% justified. Just read any article by any other beat writer with any newspaper covering any other team in the MVC. The difference in quality and quantity of coverage is like night and day. Anyone who cannot see that is deluded by the years of lousy coverage Bradley has gotten.

Comment

I agree with Da Coach 100%. The journal star is a joke. They were on board with the Glasser administration and now that Bradley is back they want to give the Braves a couple articles in the paper and act like they have been for us the whole time. The lack of coverage has been a joke until now and I feel had some kind of direct effect on attendance to games etc.

Comment

I know I haven’t been around as long as some of the people that post on this site but I had my parents take me to nyc in 1982 when I was 6 years old to the NIT. I have been in love with Bradley basketball since. Up until a few years ago Bradley was always the biggest thing going in Peoria, now it has moved to the back pages of the sports section or not covered at all and the Journal Star wants to complain thatBradley ilia fighting back! What a joke!

Comment

What a whiny and self-important article, and the way they go on about him being an 'award winning' journalist is just pretentious.

I quit reading the Journal Star the first year Wardle was the head coach, and to see the difference in the way he was treated compared to Geno was a disgrace. Not sure what Glasser, Cross, and Geno did for the JS, but they must have really been in their pocket the way they glowed about Geno through all those ridiculously horrible years.
            Larry Bird
            I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

This whole article is hearsay. Why didn't Dave Reynolds write this himself?

Comment

I can give you an answer to that, as soon as I can get a hold of Dave Eminian and have him write it up for me. Apparently he is the designated attacker/excusemaker for the PJ Star.

And the way they tried to drag President Roberts into their petty little tantrum is laughable. Maybe they were used to calling Joanne Glasser, who was probably on Kirk Wessler's speed dial, and have her pat them on the head and fix everything for them in return for their endless favorable print of her corrupt and inept administration.

Btw. I have no beef with Eminian. He does an incredible job with his informative, up-to-date, in-depth, and accurate reporting on the Rivermen. If we got a fraction of the meaningful and frequent reports about Bradley that Eminian does about SPHL hockey, it would be satisfactory.

Comment

something must have happened recently and the PJS won't tell us that part....and given their history - I really don't buy what they are saying...
                  There's an admission that the argument started when the reporter wanted EXTRA ACCESS - he wanted to step in and interview a player,
                  apparently when nobody else was being allowed to talk to the players.

Anyway - this is actually all about a topic that we have talked about for almost 20 years (even tho BradleyFans has only been around since 2005)

the PJS is not fair in covering Bradley. That is a fact that we have proven many, many times, They even go so far as to LIE to smear Bradley.
                  I could give a zillion examples - they lied about the circumstances of Daniel Ruffin's arrest saying things about ligatures around the accuser's neck
                  and printing things that the accuser's friend said (who was not there) but never mentioning that other people were there and had 100% different testimony
                  about the events. They lied about the Tyrone Cole-Scott stuff claiming they had emails and texts but they never did. They claimed two players were dismissed from the team due to failed drug tests - even tho they admitted the school never releases that info because it it confidential. BTW- the fact was that the players left on their own to play elsewhere as did Cole-Scott. They smeared Jerrance Howard just when Bradley was considering the guy as a head coach. They changed their story on the Jojo McGlaston suspension. They called the coach a liar. They smeared Les with what they admitted was pure rumor - LINK they actively stumped for the coach's firing and admotted so - LINK. LINK and other endless biases against Bradley - even some detailed in length like when Kirk was mad because Bradley bought the properties on maplewood and didn't call to ask him about it - even tho the plans were on full display in front of the coach's office - LINK

Anyway - there are 1000 more examples over the years of the hit pieces they have done.
                  My opinion is that this whole BS column is just a bunch of whining about something they are making up.

BTW- did anyone notice all the responses to the PJS Tweet on this column?
                  Most of the Tweets rip into the PJS as terrible coverage but the few which defend the PJS are people who work there or who work for other newspapers!! Ha - LOL - now that's being unbiased!!

All this being said - I fear the newspaper guys will act all the more like a woman scorned and fly into a rage...
                  they have never been objective - now they will use their failing influence to try to rip Bradley all the more.

But I bet if they did a survey there are 100 times more Bradley fans in the area than there are PJS fans.

Comment

Based upon his interview with Gottlieb, I think Coach Wardle is still mad about this article below, especially the headline of "Fire Wardle?" (And yes, copy editors write the headlines, not the writers.)

I don't think it's any journalists job to "fluff up" the group they cover, but in turn, if that group has felt slighted, they also have no responsibility to go out if their way to give extra access.

I also find it extremely petty of the newspaper to run something like this now. If you didn't have have an axe to grind, why wouldn't you keep this disagreement private?

To me, this an article that screams for clicks only and they are probably getting what wanted as now Dave Kaplan is tweeting about it and giving more exposure at a larger level.
                    PEORIA — After the first few minutes of Saturday’s game at Missouri State, it became a decidedly dismal day for Bradley basketball.The Braves led early 8-4, but then disappeared into a rabbit hole for the next 14 minutes, going without a field goal, missing 13 shots in a row and scoring just one point to the host’s 24.In the end, Bradley managed its lowest-scoring effort since Brian Wardle’s first BU team four years ago scored 35 at Evansville and fell 55-37.
                    Go Braves!

Comment

BU/PJStar situation parallels White House/Acosta
                      Compete. Defend. Rebound. Win.

Comment

btw- I read a handful of other replies to see if anyone had any logical answer to why the PJS would run with this hit piece-
                        but find the only people defending the PJS are saying things like "Dave Reynolds has 30 years of service" and "he has faithfully covered Bradley..." etc...

Wow - no he hasn't - he is paid to write coverage - he's not "serving" anyone unless he donates his entire paycheck to charity...
                        This is all about one thing - the PJS people have always believed they have the privilege to go anywhere and say anything they want and someone said "no"..
                        and they can't handle it - and how in their historically petty way they are getting back. They don't realize that they are there in the gym with the players by permission,
                        and if they are going to write hit pieces, their permission may be limited a bit.

Kirk whined the same way when he felt Jim Les was not being honest about who was healthy and who was going to be in the starting lineup.
                        ..but it's funny how they ran with every fluff piece Joanne ever wanted them to run about her & her people - never checking facts about how she was BS-ing the Board and taking the entire Athletic dept & school down the drain towards financial ruins. they never have told the truth that is publicly available about why she and the whole crew had their butts fired. Kirk even let Cross write his own farewell interview and hugged Geno & cried.....

Comment

Let’s face it, the next generation is not into local papers. The weekday edition of the PJS is physically so thin now that it looks like a napkin. They have to make cuts over and over. People aren’t going to pay for the internet version when there’s a lot of other news sources that are free. I think they’re sort of cooked at this point.

My dissatisfaction reached its peak during the Les years. They may think they’re being really savvy and objective, but they are foundationally negative on Bradley and there needs to be a regime change before I’ll be interested again. For 25+ years the PJS articles seem happier when Bradley struggles than when we succeed. Theobald and Wessler were the hardest to read, and I think they created the culture that Reynolds has shaped himself by.

interesting move by Bradley, and interesting counter move by the PJS. Who needs the other more?
                          Compete. Defend. Rebound. Win.

Comment

I maintain a cheap electronic subscription to the PJS just to check the obits and death notices each day. (Make sure I'm not listed.) That's about all it's good for. The days when it was a good newspaper are long, long past. Their coverage of our Braves has been terrible for years.

Comment

It goes back 20 years or more. Phil Theobald ripped Jim Molinari personally and because of his religious beliefs and didn't like his style of coaching, even though Molinari was successful at Bradley. He called for Molinari to be fired, then when Bradley hired Jim Les, he went on a 4 year tirade and somehow found a way to work the stockbroker slam into nearly every article. They didn't get their favorite local guy hired that they campaigned for openly, so they never gave Les any positive coverage. Remember the fabricated and false claim that Bradley tampered with Sommerville while he was still at Iowa? Ridiculous. It was later proven false, but the PJ Star never corrected their lies. And they never corrected their lies about the Tyrone Cole-Scott case. Then they tried over and over to make a big deal out of nothing with trivial incidents involving Taylor Brown, Theron Wilson, and others.
                              And who can forget Theobald's childish stunt when he wore an Iowa sweatshirt to the Bradley Itoo Hall event just to make himself the center of attention, instead of Bradley. Then he lied about his reasons. Even when Les took the team to the Sweet 16, their coverage was horrible and focused more on the fact Bradley didn't win the MVC Championship. And almost immediately after the Sweet 16, they started calling for him to be fired again. It culminated a few years later with their constant attacks coordinated with the corrupt administration which gave Glasser cover to fire Jim. But even when Les was fired, that didn't stop their attacks on him. They continued to attack him and tried desperately to blame him for the damage done by Joanne Glasser, Mike Cross, and Geno Ford. They still have never admitted or reported on the obvious reasons Bradley sunk to such low levels.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X