Collapse

PJStar-BU squabble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornados summary is a great start. The PJS has been anything but fact based and yet has long benefited from unusually open and unlimited access. This while their coverage by columnists was agenda driven and leaked based in collaboration with the previous administration. The PJS ran breathlessly to print any negative hoops player story ....but never routinely covered other Bu sports player missteps.

From the PJS article:
    “Listen, Bradley, you don’t want to hear this, I know. You are not Duke or Kentucky or anyone else on the national stage. You opened 0-5 in a weak Missouri Valley Conference. You don’t get to throw elbows in that situation. Your journey from those depths to an NCAA tourney berth was well-documented and covered well by a veteran, award-winning writer.

Nothing written about BU merits an upturned middle finger at the media, and by proxy, the team’s fanbase. This is pure pettiness. And a poor reflection on its coach, who had best be mindful of the reputation he is building, too.”

SO LISTEN UP PJS: You are not The Wall Street Journal....and your elbow throwing days are long over....your right hooks directed at previous coaches, AD’s and administrations were anything but journalism.....having a columnist open campaign again coaches and players and swim in leaks, rumors and his agenda ....ruined any reputation of the PJS. So save your cautions to Wardle about his reputation ....laughable . The PJS reputation is in tatters....as is its circulation....a curious coincidence.

So go back to calling Glasser and her spokesperson and run their agendas.....they can let you back in the gym. This BU NCAA bid is a lovely development for the fans....and the middle finger is directed at a newspaper ....not fans. This is a self created PJS problem. Ask Kirk.

So for this coming week ....the PJS folks get to stand in line and in the back of the of the room ....just like everyone else from the press. So yes PJS....you have been elbowed aside.

Comment

I am glad to see some skepticism on the PJS commentary. But this is getting national coverage; PR people do need to have some savvy when dealing with the press, even when the press is unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by ollienanyes View Post
        I am glad to see some skepticism on the PJS commentary. But this is getting national coverage; PR people do need to have some savvy when dealing with the press, even when the press is unfair.
        Sounds good to me. Gives me an opportunity to talk to people about BU that have never heard or our team! No press is bad press is the old saying, right?
        Larry Bird
        I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

All this could have been avoided if Bradley would have hired kirk’s choice for Coach.
          What part of illegal don't you understand?

Comment

Originally posted by Chico View Post
            All this could have been avoided if Bradley would have hired kirk’s choice for Coach.
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA!
            Larry Bird
            I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

I have a couple more comments...

-thankfully nobody reads the PJS any more

-the public's opinion and "approval rating" of the press is at historic lows- the media approval rating hovers around 10%

-I picked up a paper copy of the PJS while visiting someone at a nursing home and was shocked at the size & content.
              ...it was tiny - with gobs of ads and very little content except the (paid for) obituaries.

-I just tried to view online the last few Dave Reynolds columns just to see, since I really don't read it any more - but
              ..as always - their web site fill your computer with so much crap, ads and pop-ups that, as always, it FROZE UP my computer again and again. No wonder nobody ever wants to even try to read their garbage

-lastly - maybe try reporting on what were the lies and misrepresentations that PJS has peddled over the years which led to this.
              I am on Bradley's side 100% - we here at BradleyFans have been way, way ahead of the curve on calling out the PJS and their lies.
              ...which leads me to wondering how long before someone starts to BLAME US for starting all this?

I think the 50% decline in attendance is largely fostered by everything the PJS has promoted the past decade - and maybe this step to stand up to them will help turn that decline around. You remember the old adages - "bad publicity is better than no publicity" and "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

Comment

This is a fight just not worth fighting. The media is always going to hide behind "freedom of the press" regardless if they are right or wrong. You can't win an unfair fight. The press will always slant their stories towards their point of view. Doing this only adds fuel to their fire and they don't care who gets burned. If anything they are probably going to enjoy the free publicity they will get from this. Having said this the PJS is under no obligation to be a cheerleader or supporter of anyone. Bradley can choose to do whatever they want to do and from what it sounds like they don't care how it's going to look and that's certainly their right. I'm just afraid they chose the wrong time to do this. Should have done it back at the meeting with Wes in January instead of waiting until now when the focus should be on what the kids are about to do.

Comment

I would actually just like to know the truth
                  We are really only hearing the PJS side and we know they slant things

Bradley's statement says that DR's access was "reduced" but how do we know everyone else's wasn't similarly limited - or
                  that Reynolds' access wasn't MORE than everyone else's before and that his was reduced to equal everyone else's?
                  ....things that are fully within Bradley's rights

The main point BU is making is that they are concentrating on preparing for the NCAA - not on opening up every practice or team meeting to DR

...that said - I agree it never helps that you are "picking a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel"...

Comment

https://www.mvcfans.com

Comment

KillerB - you need to post something...
                      some context or explanation - you can't just post a link to some other site - that is what the spambots do and it will get axed

Here is the rule as stated on the RULES page

"Posts with links that direct people to other message boards, private blogs,
                      or any site that may contain objectionable material may be deleted."

https://www.bradleyfans.com/forum/ru...es-for-posting

I am sure if people want to read the trashing going on over on MVC Fans
                      (which is mostly populated by Bradley opponents), they know how to get there

Comment

Thinking about this more today as the day has unfolded...

I'm really concerned about the optics and distraction this has caused. We have people on talk radio in Chicago calling BU "babies". As the day has gone on, nearly every comment I read is strongly against BU. The problem is that the masses aren't going to take the time to understand the full story and as a result, will only see BU in this single, negative light.

Can this be fixed somehow?
                        Go Braves!

Comment

Gee sorry T. I thought the link was self explanatory.
                          Here's what some the national reaction looks like:

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/bradley-university-limits-mens-basketball-access-to-beat-writer-because-he-doesnt-promote-the-bradley-brand.html

https://deadspin.com/bradley-university-reduced-a-beat-writers-access-to-the-1833347002

I will weigh in a little. First
                          I confess my bias. I have been a journalist for more than 30 years.

This was a bad idea by the University. It never works out well. All it does is make Bradley look small and petty.
                          Like the PJS or not, this was not a good move.

Comment

“National reaction “......? You must be kidding....? Two links? There is no national reaction to a beat reporter....at a faultering local paper being given less access to a program.

So where were the multiple PJS stories over the last 6 weeks since this discussion has been ongoing for some time about this as a news item? Not one .

All of a sudden ...BU is in the dance ....and now we are hearing about this drama for the very first time???

Chicago sports talk has not mentioned this reporter story once.......have they mentioned BU’s history in the NCAA....the sweet 16 team ( dozens of times) and BU all time greats .....AD Chris Reynolds on the selection committee ...yes...tons of coverage. The only petty people have been the PJS folks in partnership with former BU admins....and folks on this board.

Stop pretending this a big story.....not even in the least.....the self importance of PJS columnists and reporters is so aggrandized and misplaced.

Comment

killer B....you and Keith olberman are the national thought leaders.....Keith has been fired over and over...not so much of a sports guy...as a political guy.

Comment

KillerB - you have always been fair and I know there's a lot of negative reaction nationally
                                but largely it is because media people stick together and defend each other

But do you think Dr. Chris Reynolds is an unreasonable jacka**? Of course not - so one must ask themselves
                                what is going on that even Dr. Reynolds seem to be more than a little miffed at the stuff the PJS has been writing about Bradley.

Well - I believe it has been the long, constant tone that the PJS presents - always sticking with the negative while other newspapers
                                (ones that we have linked to) seem to easily be able to come up with really positive stuff.
                                But I think there's more or different facts that we have not been given.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X