Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I musta missed that - I don't read the PJS

Comment

Google announces they will begin an initiative to provide local communities with LOCAL news!
      This is great and maybe means we will get decent sports coverage...
      Google and newspaper publishing company McClatchy announced a new partnership that will aim to develop sustainable business models for local news publications. As part of the ongoing Google News Initiative, the companies will be teaming up to create the Compass Experiment, which will provide local news coverage to three mid-sized communities in the US that currently suffer from a dearth of sources of information.

Last week, the Google News Initiative celebrated its first anniversary with new fact checking and expanded subscription tools, as well...

Comment

Hmm..
        "Smear job" ? Sounds about right-

Comment

A while ago - "I thought" someone pointed out a key Peoria Journal Star executive or manager is a Illinois State University alum. Is this true and if so - who is he or she? I checked and the PJS Publisher - Paul Gairer and PJS Editor Dennis Anderson are not Illinois State University alums. The PJS owner - Gate House Media - owns 130 Daily Newspapers. Living in New York - I'll bet the Gate House Media CEO Kirk Davis doesn't even read the Journal Star - maybe just maybe glance at it a couple of times a year and this PJStar - BU Squabble is not even a blip on his radar and Kirk Davis wouldn't even be able to comprehend the past history. Besides writing Kirk Davis a rather scathing letter about the PJStar and how misguided the paper is - and maybe Kirk will then give Paul a "WTF" call - all I can do is never pay the PJStar one penny for their on-line service (being that I no longer live in Illinois). The PJStar is having it's own set of headaches... This community word article stated last March 2018 that the PJStar circulation is down from it's high of 90,000 in the 1990's to 34,000 last March 2018.... Interesting PJStar March 2018 circulation problems article: http://thecommunityword.com/online/b...ms-plague-pjs/ The PJStar is not making any new friends or improving circulation by Squabbling with Bradley. Especially if the PJStar uses the Kirk Wessler tactics used against Jim Les - now against Brian Wardle. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado View Post
            Hmm..
            "Smear job" ? Sounds about right-
            https://www.woodfordtimes.com/opinio...tar-on-bradley

I hope the PJ Star finds this whole fiasco worth it for the few extra clicks they got, because I know or have talked to many people who dropped their subscription or will not renew when it comes up for renewal just because of how the PJ Star handled this with the specific intent of doing maximum damage. Recall that this came from a late January meeting between the PJ Star and Bradley, and nothing changed between then and March 15 when they assigned one of their stooges who has never covered or had anything to do with Bradley to write that hit piece.

Originally posted by Go_Braves
            A while ago - "I thought" someone pointed out a key Peoria Journal Star executive or manager is a Illinois State University alum. Is this true and if so - who is he or she?
            I don't know the history of every writer or editor at the PJ Star, but there have been a lot of ISU people who have had high-level jobs there through the years.
            Right now, the Sports Editor (Wes Huett) is an ISU grad. So, is it any surprise they don't like Bradley and relish with joy in anything they can focus on that is negative?

And one more note- the main reason we founded Bradleyfans.com was because until 2005, Bradley was the only MVC team without a dedicated fan message board. The PJ Star had a online message board forum titled "College and Pro Sports" which was not specific to any sport or team, but partially served as a Bradley fan message board. And it was run by and moderated by a rabid ISU fan who supported, encouraged, and contributed vile and incoherent attacks on Bradley and then-coach Jim Les. Maybe some here still recall the attacks and the endless calls for Les to be fired, including vicious attacks in February, 2006 as Bradley was making it's run to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament. It was a cesspool where Bradley-haters and Jim Les-haters were allowed to spew their hatred. The ISU-loyalist moderator deleted and threatened banning of anyone who differed or was supportive of the coach and the team.
            After having my polite and civil pro-Bradley posts deleted, I educated myself on creating a website, funded it entirely out of my own pocket, and founded Bradleyfans.com and invited any true fan to join. Thousands of great fans have joined, and quickly we reached millions of page-views per month. Thanks to the fans, we recently have broken records for site visits, page views, ad revenue, and many other parameters.

So just one more example that the PJS is anti-Bradley (and I can give hundreds of other examples). The PJ Star has a long history of trying to harm Bradley with their absurd and dishonest attacks (remember the "renegade program" rant by KW?) as well as their anti-Bradley stunts. Remember Phil Theobald wearing an Iowa sweatshirt to a Bradley Itoo Hall event then lying about his reason? Or the repeated lies and attacks they published because their sports guys didn't like who Bradley hired for head coach in 2002, so they concocted some wacky fake conspiracy theory to explain why their favorite candidate didn't get hired? And their long history of biased and "yellow journalism" coverage of Bradley (with the exception of the few years of sycophantic and irrational worship of Joanne Glasser, Geno Ford, and their blindness of the utter disaster they inflicted).

Comment

When Wes Huett gets let go in September, the sport editor spot will be open.
              1996 & 2019

Comment

Originally posted by it's boogie time View Post
                When Wes Huett gets let go in September, the sport editor spot will be open.
                I am sure there will be a number of ISU grad, Bradley-haters lining up for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Braves View Post
                  ...PJStar is having it's own set of headaches... T... circulation is down from it's high of 90,000 in the 1990's to 34,000 last March 2018.... ...
                  a couple sources now say circulation is around 27,000 but a lot of those copies are printed and then tossed if they are not picked up at vendors/front desks, etc..

Or the repeated lies and attacks they published ...
                  oh my - there are way too many to even recall...and not just their completely false headline stories like claiming John Wilkins had signed with Iowa State when he did not, or that Tyrone Cole-Scott had text messages proving his false allegations against JL (he did not), or lies that blamed Ken Kavanagh for cancelling events (Itoo, etc..) that were actually the ignorant doings of Glasser & Cross, or calling Bradley a renegade program when the number of violations in the entire 9 years of the Les era were a small fraction of the violations & arrests in just the 4 years of Geno Ford, or the claim that attendance & revenue slid continually since 2007 (when they were actually climbing until they fired Kavanagh), or Kirk doing a full story on those rumors about Les being fired in 2010 when he was NOT fired then....etc...
                  The sheer number of false stories and lies over the years can NOT just be written off as mistakes or misprints - they are proof of a concerted effort to smear Bradley while trying to make Glasser look like a savior.

Comment

Thank you long time local coach and sports expert Terry Knapp for telling it like it is in an op-ed that PJS actually printed..
                    Opinion

Letter: Media must realize what goes around comes around

"What has gone on recently with the Bradley Braves basketball team and its hometown media just makes no sense.
                    Remember BU coaches and administration, people who belittle and demean you, criticize and insult you, pick you apart
                    and judge you, are the most negative and toxic people alive. Then, when you stand up for yourself and fight back,
                    they tell others that you are the toxic one. They act insulted and say this because they can’t stand it when you no longer
                    allow them to run all over you, and treat you like trash. They can’t admit their own horrible behavior, so they try to make
                    it look like you’re the bad guy.

In Peoria and around this great country of ours, media often think they can slander you and get away with it under the protection
                    of our First Amendment. Media should realize what goes around comes around.

I want to thank Coach Brian Wardle and Athletic Director Chris Reynolds for their commitment to the students and athletes
                    of Bradley University. Too bad these two guys didn’t have more support from the Journal Star, their own administration and
                    some others in the Peoria community."

Terry Knapp

https://www.pjstar.com/opinion/20190...d-comes-around

Comment

• Originally posted by tornado View Post
                      ....Too bad these two guys didn’t have more support from the Journal Star...
                      what's interesting is they supported Geno & Joanne as if they were their own personal PR agents...
                      They lied, they blamed all the bad that was happening and the tanking of the attendance & entire program on Kavanagh & Les,
                      they promoted the BS that the declining enrollment & tanking attendance was just part of a broad, national trend,
                      and they totally ignored all the renegade activities...and never once during that era did they rile up and claim that it
                      was NOT THEIR JOB to promote Bradley... If they gave Wardle 1/100th of the promotion that routinely gave to Geno & JG
                      the stands would be full.

Comment

• hate to resurrect this ridiculous old thread but.... did you see this?? What incredible hypocrisy!!!

There is an unproven claim that the Chicago Cubs threatened to limit access for a media member because of how he was reporting on the team.
                        In other words - allegedly, he apparently was not helping their brand...he was too negative...so the Cubs, according to the unproven claim of one of the media members cut him off.

And yet, I can't find anywhere that the PJ Star even reported on this incident!!
                        What? Are they protecting the Cubs? Do they just NOT CARE if it is one of their competitors whose reporters may have gotten their access cut off,
                        .............when they cried like holy hell that it happened to them??
                        The Pantagraph has coverage as does just about every other newspaper in the midwest
                        https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/ba...b668c2264.html
                        https://herald-review.com/sports/bas...6bcdbebeb.html
                        https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...502-story.html
                        https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/05/...edom-of-press/

but in the end - that very last link details a lot of things that kind of throw doubt on the whole narrative - that just maybe this is just
                        another example of media people whining like babies because they aren't getting the special treatment that they demand...
                        In other words - this whole thing may never have happened at all - just more media people bullying people to make themselves into the story.

Comment

• Originally posted by tornado View Post
                          hate to resurrect this ridiculous old thread but.... did you see this?? What incredible hypocrisy!!!

There is an unproven claim that the Chicago Cubs threatened to limit access for a media member because of how he was reporting on the team.
                          In other words - allegedly, he apparently was not helping their brand...he was too negative...so the Cubs, according to the unproven claim of one of the media members cut him off.

And yet, I can't find anywhere that the PJ Star even reported on this incident!!
                          What? Are they protecting the Cubs? Do they just NOT CARE if it is one of their competitors whose reporters may have gotten their access cut off,
                          .............when they cried like holy hell that it happened to them??
                          The Pantagraph has coverage as does just about every other newspaper in the midwest
                          https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/ba...b668c2264.html
                          https://herald-review.com/sports/bas...6bcdbebeb.html
                          https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...502-story.html
                          https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/05/...edom-of-press/

but in the end - that very last link details a lot of things that kind of throw doubt on the whole narrative - that just maybe this is just
                          another example of media people whining like babies because they aren't getting the special treatment that they demand...
                          In other words - this whole thing may never have happened at all - just more media people bullying people to make themselves into the story.
                          I wanted to bring up this very point last week, but I opted not to because I didn't want to resurrect this very post lol.

Comment

• I didn't want to resurrect this thread either but did anyone else catch Dave Eminian's (the guy who wrote the original column claiming it's "not (DR's) job to promote Bradley") column last week? Because that was just pure naked advocacy for the Rivermen. I ask you, any DR defenders, would you ever see any naked advocacy like this in a million years for Bradley? And if not, explain to me the double standard. Why do other media outlets (like Jim Mattson) have positive spin on Bradley, and other Journal Star reporters have clear positive spin on other Peoria teams, but PJStar Bradley coverage is somehow different? Everyone else gets kid's gloves at the PJStar. And it makes no sense; Bradley doing well and selling tickets is good for Peoria; good to sell more papers; good for drawing more people to PCC and downtown restaurants and bars before and after games. Its just so self defeating and stupid. Alright, now I'm done lol.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/201904...ally-good-team

WHEREAS, the Peoria Rivermen, under the guidance of head coach Jean-Guy Trudel, claimed their fourth Southern Professional Hockey League William B. Coffey Trophy in five seasons and,

WHEREAS, the Rivermen, overcoming tremendous obstacles in a 2018-19 season in which they played the majority of their games with half of their players on promotion to the ECHL and,

WHEREAS, five members of the Peoria Rivermen earned SPHL league honors, including centerman Benjamin Blasko, who was Rookie of the Year, All-Rookie Team, All-SPHL first team, and brought the Peoria franchise its first league scoring champion in 30 years and,

WHEREAS, Rivermen defenseman Nick Neville, centerman Justin Greenberg and captain Alec Hagaman were named to the All-SPHL team and,

WHEREAS, Rivermen goaltender Steve Klein was named to the SPHL All-Rookie Team and posted a 1.86 goals-against average, hailed as the No. 1 ranking in the league and best in the 37-year history of Peoria’s professional hockey franchise, and

WHEREAS, the Rivermen set 15 league and franchise records in the 2018-19 season -- including league records for most wins, highest win percentage (.795), most points (89) -- during which they posted a 40-7-9 overall record and 23-1-4 record at Carver Arena and never lost more than three straight games, and

WHEREAS, the Peoria Rivermen became just the eighth team in 85 years in professional minor-league hockey to go through a season of 50 or more games with single-digit regulation losses and,

WHEREAS, the Peoria Rivermen winning percentage in 2018-19 was the 16th highest points-making percentage recorded by a team in the minors over the last 85 years and,

WHEREAS, the Peoria Rivermen players and staff, under the direction of the team’s ownership, maintains a strong presence in the community, visiting schools and participating in charitable projects;

NOW, THEREFORE, Cleve in the Eve recognizes the Peoria Rivermen with great pride and gratitude for their achievements on the ice and in the community.

PROCLAIMED this 24th day of April, 2019.
                            BRADLEY BASKETBALL
                            -2 NCAA Title Games
                            -3 NCAA Elite Eights
                            -4 NCAA Sweet 16s
                            -4 NIT Championships

Comment

• good points - guys like Jim Mattson have really positive coverage of everyone he reports on from high school sports to the pros...
                              I can't recall ever seeing any coverage by Jim that was harshly critical, truly negative or name calling (like "renegade program" or "taking the expedient route instead of the principled route")

and you are right - they are literally the free PR firm for the Rivermen, promoting their brand - and Dave Reynolds does the same for the Chiefs, and I have seen them do so with local bowling and Kirk pushed local track & cross country like it was his own kids running. But nothing compares to how they became nothing more than mouthpieces for Joanne Glasser for those 7 years that she had them wrapped around her little finger. As I have noted elsewhere, she was even seen wining & dining and schmoozing with members of the PJ Star staff - playing them for favorable coverage. Now if that's not promoting their brand...

Comment

• A story not covered by the PJ Star...
                                the parent company Gatehouse Media is in talks with media giant Gannett - to sell out to them
                                That would likely hurt local coverage even more as Gannett is committed to USAToday - and NATIONAL coverage
                                https://newsandtech.com/dateline/wsj...191df7480.html

Other recent stories are also not appearing in the PJS...

Gatehouse has been vigorously trimming the fat recently --
                                -hundreds being laid off in latest round of downsizing- https://www.subscriptioninsider.com/...ng-6519-1.html

-centuries-old papers closing and going belly-up after being bought up and managed by Gatehouse- https://newsandtech.com/news/another...bfb9cbd84.html

-this follows numerous other layoffs- https://www.businessinsider.com/gate...ew-media2019-2

-and maybe even more on the way- https://www.apnews.com/65eb090a16a54af8a6ea933ba68fb1b6

-Gatehouse shuttering dozens of newspapers- https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/0...s-into-18.html

-Phil Luciano's latest column hints that he may be done soon (would anyone miss that?) and other sources say more consolidation and shrinking coming - https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/05/ne...consolidation/

-the local PJS newsroom & sports room has been cleaned out and Dave Reynolds is covering high school sports and weather, barely mentions Bradley- https://week.com/news/2018/09/07/peo...l-journalists/

-the people who still work at PJS express "DISGUST", "PAIN" and "SADNESS" - https://www.centralillinoisproud.com...tar/2022790803

Remember the topic was BU-PJS squabble? Well BU is coming out on top, they are on the rise while the PJS is sinking fast.
                                They are making all the wrong decisions then blame readers and everyone else.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X