Transfer portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CalCriddle10 View Post
    What is the difference between players entertaining portal possibilities and Wardle entertaining coaching offers from a “loyalty” standpoint?
    This is not about what is "fair", if that's your point.
    The head coach makes the rules, and the players follow them or are free to leave. I think most other D1 teams are the same. And, I think most ADs and most fans appreciate a coach like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fetz86 View Post
      I'm worried about UNI next year.
      I always worry about UNI. Ben Jacobson is a great coach.

Comment

• As it stands, and additions could change everything, but I think UNI is the preseason favorite right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Classof77 View Post

I always worry about UNI. Ben Jacobson is a great coach.
          I would be glad if UNI is improved. We need the league to be stronger!

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

This is not about what is "fair", if that's your point.
            The head coach makes the rules, and the players follow them or are free to leave. I think most other D1 teams are the same. And, I think most ADs and most fans appreciate a coach like that.
            So more of a “Do as I say not as I do” approach. I think that type of treatment for athletes is what ultimately got us to the NIL/portal situation we have now in college sports. I do not disagree that once a player enters the portal - he has made his choice. Just wonder why we cut coaches so much slack when they can pick up and leave at any time and leave a program devastated. Just my opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by BUfan14 View Post

I understand the sentiment Brian feels there, but every circumstance is so different. Are you telling me if Rienk has second thoughts and comes back he would say no? Rienk is not a guy who came for a year and left. He stayed four years, graduated, and is exploring his options.

Also, I'm glad Malevy is coming back. I don't fault any of these players for using the current system to their advantage, but I would have faulted him for making a big announcement he is coming back and then changing his mind. Especially given the publicity and positive attention he got for making such an announcement, which he didn't have to make. As long as Hick, Zek, Leons, and Jonovic/Hannah come back I really think our floor is pretty good. Still have some big needs including point guard, shooters, and an athletic big that can bang down low. But we should be at least competitive with that core coming back.

We have two open scholarships now with Rienk and Ville leaving, and I have to imagine we will have at least one or two more. That would be enough to get those three needs I mentioned (probably need 3-4 players to fill those needs).
              BW said as much today on Greg & Dan--no turning back for Rienk (not that he would want to).

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerB View Post
                As it stands, and additions could change everything, but I think UNI is the preseason favorite right now.
                I have to respectfully disagree. I don't see UNI getting picked above SIU, Indiana State, or maybe even Bradley next year.
                UNI wasn't good this year. They finished 14-18 on the season, and 9-11 in the MVC, 7 games behind Bradley. Their home MVC record was 4-6, and overall home record just 8-8. They wore down due to lack of depth and lost 8 of their last 9 regular season games.
                Other than getting Nate Heise back from injury, a decent recruiting class, and getting a transfer from Loyola who averaged 1.8 ppg, I don't see enough improvement to jump over the 7 teams ahead of them.
                A lot depends on what players return for another year, plus the new additions off the portal. If the seniors on SIU and Indiana State return for their extra Covid year, they will be very tough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't see UNI getting picked above SIU, Indiana State, or maybe even Bradley next year.
                  UNI wasn't good this year. They finished 14-18 on the season, and 9-11 in the MVC, 7 games behind Bradley. Their home MVC record was 4-6, and overall home record just 8-8. They wore down due to lack of depth and lost 8 of their last 9 regular season games.
                  Other than getting Nate Heise back from injury, a decent recruiting class, and getting a transfer from Loyola who averaged 1.8 ppg, I don't see enough improvement to jump over the 7 teams ahead of them.
                  A lot depends on what players return for another year, plus the new additions off the portal. If the seniors on SIU and Indiana State return for their extra Covid year, they will be very tough.
                  If Bradley can get their core of players back this year and add some players to help in certain spots Bradley will be the favorite next year with UNI second. Bradley players have proven to be winners and will be experienced. Having said that I think UNI is going to be very good and hard to beat

Comment

• Originally posted by bradleyfan124 View Post

If Bradley can get their core of players back this year and add some players to help in certain spots Bradley will be the favorite next year with UNI second. Bradley players have proven to be winners and will be experienced. Having said that I think UNI is going to be very good and hard to beat
                    I agree 124. If Burch can pick up the scoring we lost with Rienk leaving and Jonovic can stay out of foul trouble, I like our chances. Would be nice if we could add another big.

Coach - any idea if Agiste is going to be in the mix next year?
                    Larry Bird
                    I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy View Post

I agree 124. If Burch can pick up the scoring we lost with Rienk leaving and Jonovic can stay out of foul trouble, I like our chances. Would be nice if we could add another big.

Agiste had some very good stats in high school last year. He was double figures in points and rebounds against Proviso West I believe, a perennial high school power. However he is skinny as hell...no meat on him

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy View Post

Comment

• I know there are no portal fans on this board. In fact there’s like 6 whole people in the world who like the portal, but the more I think about it: It’s not the young men’s fault the NCAA broke college bball with these major changes. The mobility and money leads to “self” over “team.” The “team” concept now means one stand-alone season at a time. The lack of returning casts and team identity will lead to a loss of fan interest and therefore money… you can all feel it sliding already (search your heart, my son)

I think the NCAA shot their foot off and don’t even know it yet… but as a wise man once said “don’t hate the player, hate the game.
                          Compete. Defend. Rebound. Win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dub View Post
                            I know there are no portal fans on this board. In fact there’s like 6 whole people in the world who like the portal, but the more I think about it: It’s not the young men’s fault the NCAA broke college bball with these major changes. The mobility and money leads to “self” over “team.” The “team” concept now means one stand-alone season at a time. The lack of returning casts and team identity will lead to a loss of fan interest and therefore money… you can all feel it sliding already (search your heart, my son)

I think the NCAA shot their foot off and don’t even know it yet… but as a wise man once said “don’t hate the player, hate the game.
                            It's a bit more than that. It is this generation...the ME generation

Comment

• Originally posted by Dub View Post
                              I know there are no portal fans on this board. In fact there’s like 6 whole people in the world who like the portal, but the more I think about it: It’s not the young men’s fault the NCAA broke college bball with these major changes. The mobility and money leads to “self” over “team.” The “team” concept now means one stand-alone season at a time. The lack of returning casts and team identity will lead to a loss of fan interest and therefore money… you can all feel it sliding already (search your heart, my son)

The NCAA corrupted college sports decades ago when it became more about money than student athletes. It was just a matter of time until we got here. Imagine if $ never became the controlling factor, but instead academics and school loyalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by MidMajorFan11 View Post

BW said as much today on Greg & Dan--no turning back for Rienk (not that he would want to).
                                I went and listened to this interview, and it is an interesting and debatable policy for sure. I understand the valuing of loyalty, and this might even be a way to keep kids from testing the portal at all, but I'm not sure I agree with is being comparable to a spouse relationship as Brian put it. Most people look for other jobs at some point in their lives, including Brian. Some of these kids come from tough backgrounds and don't have a lot of years to make nice money. All of us want the best situation for ourselves and our family, and yes things like happiness and "teammates" matter, but they are just some of the factors. The culture of valuing employee loyalty, including in sports, beyond all else is really just created to benefit the companies/teams by getting people to stay without having to fight for them as much. Most all of us want the most money/benefits for our families that we can get, with all factors like happiness, job security, feeling valued in the past, and people around you playing a role as well. Someone brought up the example of coaches versus players on here too in terms of who is expected to show more loyalty. You could argue the pendulum has swung too far the other way in a me first culture too I suppose. However, I hate making generational statements on entire groups of people. There are a lot of good and bad trends that come with each new generation, but each person is an individual, and each circumstance is unique. I want all great Bradley players to stay because I want Bradley to be great, but I can't fault them for making the a decision they think will be better for themselves under the current system. I do think sometimes those decisions are misguided, but that is a different story.

We also have taken advantage of the portal a couple times now too. Like most things, I think a blanket policy can be well intentioned, but leave no wiggle room for unusual circumstances. I don't think Rienk's circumstance is the same as other people that look to come and go every year, like a Sean East for example. Now it seems like there is no way Rienk is coming back anyway, but to shut the door on it if he wanted it seems shortsighted to me. Now maybe knowing there is no way Rienk comes back anyway, Brian might as well stick to this blanket policy in public for the sake of the players he currently has. Overall, I generally, mostly, agree with the way Brian manages players and coaches in terms of the types of people he brings in, but on this one I'm not sure I agree 100%. I still generally agree with the sentiment, but maybe not the blanket policy. But he gets paid to make those decisions of course.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X