Transfer portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stryker View Post

Neither Drake or BU had a signature win all season, unless you count the games they played against each other.
    What is a signature win and who gets to define that? And just to be clear, if you play another team that would be a signature win, but that teams only signature win came against you, then those wins don't count as signature wins? I'm just trying to understand here.
    Larry Bird
    I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy View Post

What is a signature win and who gets to define that? And just to be clear, if you play another team that would be a signature win, but that teams only signature win came against you, then those wins don't count as signature wins? I'm just trying to understand here.
      And there in lies the stupidity of it all....it's all relative. Dumber yet is that when we beat Drake, they were only a quad 2 team at the time, but by the time we lost to them in the tourney they were then considered a quad 1. LOL ITS THE SAME TEAM!!!

So stupid
      DUBL R 1

Comment

• Lance Jones of SIU into the portal.
        houstonbrave

Comment

• Originally posted by Dubl R 1 View Post

And there in lies the stupidity of it all....it's all relative. Dumber yet is that when we beat Drake, they were only a quad 2 team at the time, but by the time we lost to them in the tourney they were then considered a quad 1. LOL ITS THE SAME TEAM!!!

So stupid
          I do believe the quadrant of the win changes as the team does though. So Bradley would get credit for whatever the opponent is at year's end. I believe it is only top 30 teams in a home game that qualify though as Quad 1, so the Drake win at home would never have been quad 1 for Bradley at any point this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker View Post

I agree, the bottom of the MVC really really hurt the conference this year. However, I completely disagree with your assessment on how weak the MVC was this year. Neither Drake or BU had a signature win all season, unless you count the games they played against each other. Maybe Drake with the MSU game. BU was 1-7 against good teams, with the sole win against Drake, and every one of the losses by double digits. The difference is that BU and Drake didn't win a post season game and the CUSA teams sure have. That is the difference, and enough for me to say the MVC was weak this year. Also note the good records by the top MVC teams was likely just due to the terrible rosters of the bottom MVC teams, along with the addition of 2 more conference games.
            I agree with you. Bradley was a top 2 team in the conference, and we did really badly against anyone of significance outside the conference, and really badly against Drake 2 out of 3 times (the other top 2 team in conference). Not just sort of bad, but really bad. If a top two team in your conference isn't competitive against good teams (multiple times over), then that shows the conference isn't that good unfortunately. In no world were we good enough to be a tournament team this year. The system did not look poorly upon us, we just didn't step up in the big games (which Wardle indicated when asked about tournament consideration).

Comment

• Murray State's Jaxson Edwards is in the portal-

Edwards is a freshman who also had offers out of high school in Indianapolis from Illinois State, Drake, Evansville, Indiana State, among others.
              He only played a few minutes in 11 games, and scored a total of 6 points this past season. 2 of those points came in Murray State's 83-48 loss at Bradley in which Edwards played 3 minutes.
              Bio- https://goracers.com/sports/mens-bas...n-edwards/9349
              Stats- https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../jaxon-edwards

Comment

• Not a transfer but a valley coaching staff change. Pat Monaghan leaves SIU to be an assistant at Green Bay.
                houstonbrave

Comment

• Originally posted by Dubl R 1 View Post

So stupid
                  I'm not talking about quad whatever wins. Pick whatever metric you want. Most people that have a problem with the "experts" point to total wins instead. Fine. Lets go with total wins. By that measure BU was pretty good with 25 this year.

However, the only teams BU beat with 20+ wins this season were ISUb, Belmont. Drake, and SIU. ISUb, Belmont, and SIU were clearly not great teams. Against Drake BU was 1-2, with both losses 20 pt blowouts, and the only win at home with a sellout crowd. The bottom 6 teams in the conference went 36-84 in conference play. The top half of the league just beat up crappy teams. Add an extra 2 games, and it wasn't hard for 5 teams to get to 20 wins overall. Didn't make them good though. The MVC went 1-3 in post season play, with the only win in the CBI. The entire MVC only got 2 wins over ranked opponents this year, and one of them, Drake vs MSU ended the season with MSU being unranked.

There is no metric that says the MVC was strong, or really that any of the teams in the MVC were strong. An argument could be made for Drake though I think. However, saying BU was a great team when they went 1-7 against opponents that were actually good, and all 7 losses were by double digits, is not an argument I would want to defend, ever.

All that said, I really enjoyed the season, I will always remember the MVC regular season championship, it was very memorable and I enjoyed it immensely.
                  Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

• A couple other significant potential departures from Murray State-

Murray State's leading scorer this season, 6'4" junior guard Rob Perry, has announced he will enter the 2023 NBA Draft, while maintaining college eligibility.
                    https://www.murrayledger.com/sports/...eff74e099.html

This comes a few weeks after Murray State's Jamari Smith, a 6'8" junior forward who was their 2nd leading scorer, announced he will leave college and seek to play professionally-
                    https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/sports/mu...9f48debeb.html

With 6'7" junior center DJ Burns and 6'7" sophomore forward Kenny White in the transfer portal, these latest moves could result in the loss of 4 of their starting five, and result in a massive rebuild for the second year in a row for Murray State coach Steve Prohm.

Comment

• The more players that transfer out of these Valley teams the better for us. Do a great job recruiting and we could still be at the top or the league. We have better pieces to start then most teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomahawk chop View Post
                        The more players that transfer out of these Valley teams the better for us. Do a great job recruiting and we could still be at the top or the league. We have better pieces to start then most teams.
                        Only if we win the MVCT, if we don't a weaker conference hurts us.

Comment

• 11 of the 16 players from the 2022-23 postseason All MVC 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams are either out of eligibility or in the transfer portal. Only 5 are currently slated to return to the MVC-

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post
                            11 of the 16 players from the 2022-23 postseason All MVC 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams are either out of eligibility or in the transfer portal. Only 5 are currently slated to return to the MVC-

That's a pretty hard pill to swallow. MVC is going to get gutted annually until this stuff stops. Hopefully the 2nd transfer for a player will actually be much tougher and this environment is not the norm going forward long term.

Hopefully the MVC can reload with great players from smaller conferences.
                            Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

• Perry is exploring his NBA Draft options but did not hire an agent, so may yet return.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X