Transfer portal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BUfan14 View Post

I went and listened to this interview, and it is an interesting and debatable policy for sure. I understand the valuing of loyalty, and this might even be a way to keep kids from testing the portal at all, but I'm not sure I agree with is being comparable to a spouse relationship as Brian put it. Most people look for other jobs at some point in their lives, including Brian. Some of these kids come from tough backgrounds and don't have a lot of years to make nice money. All of us want the best situation for ourselves and our family, and yes things like happiness and "teammates" matter, but they are just some of the factors. The culture of valuing employee loyalty, including in sports, beyond all else is really just created to benefit the companies/teams by getting people to stay without having to fight for them as much. Most all of us want the most money/benefits for our families that we can get, with all factors like happiness, job security, feeling valued in the past, and people around you playing a role as well. Someone brought up the example of coaches versus players on here too in terms of who is expected to show more loyalty. You could argue the pendulum has swung too far the other way in a me first culture too I suppose. However, I hate making generational statements on entire groups of people. There are a lot of good and bad trends that come with each new generation, but each person is an individual, and each circumstance is unique. I want all great Bradley players to stay because I want Bradley to be great, but I can't fault them for making the a decision they think will be better for themselves under the current system. I do think sometimes those decisions are misguided, but that is a different story.

We also have taken advantage of the portal a couple times now too. Like most things, I think a blanket policy can be well intentioned, but leave no wiggle room for unusual circumstances. I don't think Rienk's circumstance is the same as other people that look to come and go every year, like a Sean East for example. Now it seems like there is no way Rienk is coming back anyway, but to shut the door on it if he wanted it seems shortsighted to me. Now maybe knowing there is no way Rienk comes back anyway, Brian might as well stick to this blanket policy in public for the sake of the players he currently has. Overall, I generally, mostly, agree with the way Brian manages players and coaches in terms of the types of people he brings in, but on this one I'm not sure I agree 100%. I still generally agree with the sentiment, but maybe not the blanket policy. But he gets paid to make those decisions of course.
    Well stated

Comment

• Originally posted by Dub View Post
      I know there are no portal fans on this board. In fact there’s like 6 whole people in the world who like the portal, but the more I think about it: It’s not the young men’s fault the NCAA broke college bball with these major changes. The mobility and money leads to “self” over “team.” The “team” concept now means one stand-alone season at a time. The lack of returning casts and team identity will lead to a loss of fan interest and therefore money… you can all feel it sliding already (search your heart, my son)

I think the NCAA shot their foot off and don’t even know it yet… but as a wise man once said “don’t hate the player, hate the game.
      Most work places, that pay wages/salaries have a “team” atmosphere, so the term “team” and paying people can coexist. CAT even has positions that are called “team leads”. In fact the NFL, NBA, MBL and NHL have survived under the priciple of paying athletes. The fact is the NCAA has gotten away with practices that are illegal in most business places. The only reason the NCAA caved and allowed athletes to be compensated is because they knew they would lose in court.

United States Supreme Court member Brett Kavanaugh (June, 2021): “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principle of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law”. He went on to say, “ The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. The NCAA is suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenue for colleges every year”.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

That's the news! Celebrate... And hope there's no change of mind.
        Well I’m glad the jersey I ordered with his number will be good for next year!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bball31 View Post

United States Supreme Court member Brett Kavanaugh (June, 2021): “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principle of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law”. He went on to say, “ The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. The NCAA is suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenue for colleges every year”.
          This opens up a whole different argument. Still today the NCAA doesn't pay the players, and the players aren't employees. NIL was essentially the compromise. The NCAA doesn't pay them, but they also don't prohibit them from marketing themselves. This is much different than the portal. I also would be interested to know from HOTB, what the average NIL is for a player. I think a lot of people are overestimating the money we are talking about. I would be interested in knowing what the rate is for a bench player at a P5. I follow the Illini and know they sell gear for the bench players, but I would be curious how much they end up getting.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerB View Post
            As it stands, and additions could change everything, but I think UNI is the preseason favorite right now.
            (Scratching head) How?
            We may return everyone but Mast, who was great, but whose shoes could be filled. Henry and Ville are gone, but again, not huge losses as far as numbers go. I can't argue vs them being picked #2 though. They looked good when we played them in St. Louis, and Born is a little stud.

Burch seems like an instant impact and we could get a couple more guys to make a deeper bench and to fill Henry's shoes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wilbery View Post

Well I’m glad the jersey I ordered with his number will be good for next year!
              Sweet! I actually considered #14, but picked #24 (one of my favorite numbers, and that of AP, who was the last MVC POY and last time the Braves won the Valley before this past season...and also the upcoming year - 2024)

Leons for sure is a fan favorite (how can you NOT like what he brings to the court every game) and kind of a throwback late 80s player as far as attitude, appearance, and style.

Will there be official word of Malevy's decision this week?

Comment

• Originally posted by egib52 View Post

This opens up a whole different argument. Still today the NCAA doesn't pay the players, and the players aren't employees. NIL was essentially the compromise. The NCAA doesn't pay them, but they also don't prohibit them from marketing themselves. This is much different than the portal. I also would be interested to know from HOTB, what the average NIL is for a player. I think a lot of people are overestimating the money we are talking about. I would be interested in knowing what the rate is for a bench player at a P5. I follow the Illini and know they sell gear for the bench players, but I would be curious how much they end up getting.
                Pull their tax records
                DUBL R 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Bball31 View Post

Most work places, that pay wages/salaries have a “team” atmosphere, so the term “team” and paying people can coexist. CAT even has positions that are called “team leads”. In fact the NFL, NBA, MBL and NHL have survived under the priciple of paying athletes. The fact is the NCAA has gotten away with practices that are illegal in most business places. The only reason the NCAA caved and allowed athletes to be compensated is because they knew they would lose in court.

All good points. Just want to say though, when it comes to loyalty, there is none anymore. In business, whatever. I learned that the hard way for the most part. Organizations and companies talk the talk when it comes to loyalty but almost everyone treats employees as just a number and nothing more. The 1960s idea of a corporation having loyalty to its employees is long dead. Any time individuals can gain more power and earn more is a good thing imo. In this way, I support players. Does it stink for my beloved basketball program though? Yes. However, no fault can be placed on a player for making the best decision they think they are making for themselves. NCAA would never stand up in anti-trust court and really should be disbanded all together imo. College athletics needs to be re-organized into a different structure. What that is, I don't know.
                  Thinking is the hardest work, that is why so few people do it. -Henry Ford

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

• I think paying players was a mistake from day one because how do you decide on who gets the most money? I would have agreed on giving every player on the roster equal money, probably 2 to 3 thousand a year for spending money. Pretty much all their expenses are taken care of by the University as far as housing and food.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker View Post

All good points. Just want to say though, when it comes to loyalty, there is none anymore. In business, whatever. I learned that the hard way for the most part....
                      Yes, in business, the bottom line is all that matters. That is the one big drawback with capitalism. But I am still in favor of capitalism, simply because it is better than any other alternative.

But there are still some examples of loyalty in college athletics. There have been coaches who turned down better offers to stay at the schools they had success at and were happy at. And some examples of players, too. Look no further than what Malevy Leons did this week. He saw some of the offers Rienk is getting, and he could have made a bunch more money transferring. But, so far, he seems happy here and wants to play another year at Bradley.
                      Thanks Malevy! Look forward to a great season in 2023-24!

Comment

• So are we probably looking at:

G Hickman
                        G Deen
                        G Montgomery
                        F Leons
                        C Hannah

Comment

• Originally posted by Southside View Post
                          So are we probably looking at:

G Hickman
                          G Deen
                          G Montgomery
                          F Leons
                          C Hannah
                          Actually, I could see Jonovic getting the start. He looked plenty athletic against Wisconsin when he actually got some minutes, despite a couple of fouls & TOs, and if he can make good progress over the summer I could see him getting significant minutes. Maybe Hannah gets the start, or more minutes than Jonovic, but I think we could be surprised by Jonovic.

Yeah...I've been in college for a while now and I'm pretty sure that awesomest is not a word. -Andrew E.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Coach View Post

Yes, in business, the bottom line is all that matters. That is the one big drawback with capitalism. But I am still in favor of capitalism, simply because it is better than any other alternative.

But there are still some examples of loyalty in college athletics. There have been coaches who turned down better offers to stay at the schools they had success at and were happy at. And some examples of players, too. Look no further than what Malevy Leons did this week. He saw some of the offers Rienk is getting, and he could have made a bunch more money transferring. But, so far, he seems happy here and wants to play another year at Bradley.
                            Thanks Malevy! Look forward to a great season in 2023-24!
                            No doubt Coach. I've been wondering if the players should get like 25% of the NCAA revenue or something and then it is split evenly by all starters/bench players etc or something. There would still be the argument of star players at big schools arguing they should get way more, but it may be a start. Idk.

Comment

Actually, I could see Jonovic getting the start. He looked plenty athletic against Wisconsin when he actually got some minutes, despite a couple of fouls & TOs, and if he can make good progress over the summer I could see him getting significant minutes. Maybe Hannah gets the start, or more minutes than Jonovic, but I think we could be surprised by Jonovic.
                              I agree. Jonovic will be surprising people how good he is..He will start at center

Comment

So we need another PG (My guess is that Pop will not be on Bradley's roster next season with all the bench time he got), and then Burch should get minutes right off the bat. Definitely need to get another BIG to go with Hannah and Jokovic, as Leons is not really a post-up player.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget 6

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X